Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Re: Post Your Hiking Photos - Any Format

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    the Chinese sheepherders.
    That's an interesting piece of history--I'd heard of the Basque taking those jobs, of course, but hadn't realized Asian immigrants had diffused from 19th C urban centers.

(FWIW, it's always interesting to think about the "paleo Real Estate" market--one of the mysteries here in Tennessee is that fluted points are concentrated mostly on the Highland Rim. Part of it might just be selection bias of course, but if it's a given that those tribes could have basically chosen any part of the continent, what was the Holocene equivalent of good schools and a low cost of living?)

Hiking through the SW and Page, AZ a few years back...a fisheye view of Horseshoe Bend

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    In 1902, I suppose one followed the native trails into the Sierras and over the passes.
    Well in the 1860's the army established nearby Camp (Fort) Independence which was maintained unto the 1870's and became an Paiute Indian Reservation which it remains today. http://www.militarymuseum.org/CpIndependence.pdf Mary Austin's house is located on Market Street, just a couple of blocks off CA 395 (I normally park my car across the street and hitch hike to the Onion Valley trailhead). "But if ever you come beyond the borders as far as the town that lies in a hill dimple at the foot of Kearsarge, never leave it until you have knocked at the door of the brown house under the willow-tree at the end of the village street, and there you shall have such news of the land, of its trails and what is astir in them, as one lover of it can give to another . . ." The Land of Little Rain.

The gold mining, now ghost town Kearsarge, destroyed by an 1866 avalanche is located about 8 miles west of the Austin house (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kearsa...n),_California which contains an 1871Timothy O'Sullivan 1871 photograph on the principal mining operation. So I imagine that by 1902 there was a well established wagon road as least as far as the mines. The current well paved road to the trailhead was built until much later in the 20th century. On one trip - I was either returning from resupplying in Independence or starting out on an outing - I was hitching from the Austin house and I noticed an elderly gentleman going into the Post Office. He came out, glanced at me, and drove by and said that the vehicle he was driving wasn't up to making the run up to the trailhead but if I was still there when he returned with a different car he'd give me a lift up. Well I was and it turned out that he was one of the original builders of the new paved road.

Thomas

After moving up to Humboldt County in '72, I made a few more backpacks into the Sierras, but started going into the Trinity Alps much closer to me. I spent summers from 1978 to 1990 working in the Yolla Bollys, and actually only the Eel River watershed portion of it, more or less...the 150 miles of trail I took care of was enough....and my trips back have been just to revisit my old stomping grounds (when you pack dirt behind a waterbar across a trail, you got to give a good stomp). I should hike up South and North Yolla Bolly peaks someday.

My life has been a good taste of several places, a decade or so here and there...but not enough time to ever really know a place. I have covered ground inside the Grand Canyon pretty well, but still it is a mystery...and I like that. A lot of backpacking in New Zealand -- so glad it was all before the LOTR movies -- some great extremes...icy peaks to warm beaches to tree fern forests...an excellent taste from multiple long stays. The Kings Range is another good local set of mountains that I have barely touched. I got to get out more this summer!

The exception has been the redwoods - I've spent almost 50 years under them, still a lot to learn, and there are places I'll never get to -- more mystery! And there are places I'll keep returning to as long as I am able. I do not care where the tallest redwood actually is, I know where the cathedrals are. Keep on hiking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC_5x7Vert.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by 6X17 Shooter View Post
    Hiking through the SW and Page, AZ a few years back...a fisheye view of Horseshoe Bend

I have to say that of the many, many photos I’ve seen of this spot—this one is absolutely the best in my opinion. Thanks for sharing it.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    I have to say that of the many, many photos I’ve seen of this spot—this one is absolutely the best in my opinion. Thanks for sharing it.
    Thank you, Steve...your comment is very appreciated. Instead of the usual and customary wide angle view, I thought the fisheye would give this image a unique perspective. It was a fun trip: hiking through Zion, Bryce, Page, Antelope Canyon, Wahweap Hoodoos, and the Wave (actually scored a permit on my first try).

I like it too.

A few years, while heading in the Horse Bend direction, I planned to stop there and check it out. But my luck it started to rain hard before I got to the exit. So I kept on going. After seeing your picture, I wonder if the 90mm on my 6x17 would have captured the whole bend?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I like it too.

A few years, while heading in the Horse Bend direction, I planned to stop there and check it out. But my luck it started to rain hard before I got to the exit. So I kept on going. After seeing your picture, I wonder if the 90mm on my 6x17 would have captured the whole bend?
    A 90 on a 6x17 is equivalent to approximately 19mm in 35mm terms...I don't believe that would be wide enough to take in the entire expanse of the bend (going to be close) but you should be able to get a good portion of the cliffs. For this image, I used a 15mm fisheye on a full frame 35mm camera...as it was I had to lay on my stomach and extend over the edge a bit to get the composition I was after...luckily my wife volunteered to sit on the back of my legs. I wanted something different other than the usual cliche shot of the bend. While I was there, my tripod became useless due to the extremely windy conditions so that's something to consider if shooting with your 6x17, not to mention the flying sand. To give you an idea of coverage, in the link below there's a shot of the bend someone took at 10mm on a Fuji crop sensor body (which is probably 10 or 15mm equivalent).

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/to...,bend#14777020

..I don't believe that would be wide enough to take in the entire expanse of the bend...
    Thanks. Yeah, I think it would be too tight of a fit now, if at all. And I might even want more vertical in the frame than probably would be captured too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS2001041400.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	200487

catskills ny