Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice Film mammography or xray

Choice Film mammography or xray

I read with interest the son of some discussion on the topic on forums, and the paper Henri Gaud and suddenly I well try some tests in 18x24cm

I saw that there were ortho Agfa GIC Plus, but that it was therefore in double layer problem sharpness but consistent HC110

And mammography films that was so simple layer better sharpness, but I have no references and on [www.xraystore.fr] there are tons of references in Fuji, Agfa and Kodak, and I do not know they too are not compatible with our developers silver

Thank you in advance to all

Re: Choice Film mammography or xray

I have used four different x-ray films. Three were double sided, and one single sided with anti-halation layer. All have been compatible with standard film developers.

Hello

Thanks for you message, with double sided film do you have sharpness problems in scan or contact print ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I have used four different x-ray films. Three were double sided, and one single sided with anti-halation layer. All have been compatible with standard film developers.
    Which one is singe sided, Jim?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I don't scan film, I print it in the darkroom. I have had no problem with sharpness with the double sided film when printing palladium/platinum, Van Dyke Brown, salted paper or any other process.
    The single emulsion film is Carestream EB/RA. As far as I know, it comes in 8x10" only. It is notched and has an anti-halation layer. In the U.S. i get it from zzmedical.com
    Jim

You will be contact printing, so it doesn't matter if you use double-sided version. The only time you will notice a difference in sharpness is when you compare prints side-by-side. The downside with double-sided is that you are limited to tray (flat-bottomed!) or hanger development...and problem if you don't have a darkroom. Handle it carefully, and you will not get any scratches. My preference is for double-sided green. I dig its look and how it handles grass and foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I don't scan film, I print it in the darkroom. I have had no problem with sharpness with the double sided film when printing palladium/platinum, Van Dyke Brown, salted paper or any other process.
    The single emulsion film is Carestream EB/RA. As far as I know, it comes in 8x10" only. It is notched and has an anti-halation layer. In the U.S. i get it from zzmedical.com
    Jim
    Thanks! I'd like to give it a try.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

In my experience, double sided film does not perform very badly in terms of sharpness, with the possible exception of carbon transfer prints from such negatives, particularly when a diffuse light source is used. However, for scanning and contact printing, it's just fine in my experience. Particularly if you work at larger formats such as 8x10" or 18x24cm, as any lack of detail on the micrometer scale is compensated for by the size of the negative, requiring less enlargement.

thank you all for your very useful information !

Just a last question, where do you find or what king of flat bottomed tray do you use because in france i find only tray with line or dot for paper

Best regards