Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters for 5x4 camera?

Filters for 5x4 camera?

Hi,
    Was wondering if anybody has any advice for the highest level contrast filter for a 5x4 camera lens? I have never used filters before, the only reason I want one is for doing infrared work with, so would be looking at the filter with the most extreme effect (red 25 up???). I am not sure of the various grades, as I have never used any and there dosnt seem to be any actual examples of photographs taken showing different filter levels (a link with this anyone???). I also have no idea how to attach it to a lens, whether the one I need should screw on or be fitted with a "grip" onto the lens, my lenses are Nikon 90mm (front element 84mm in diameter) and Linhof 210mm (FE 60mm diameter). And whilst Im here does anybody know the same questions for a Hassel 80mm lens?? Id like to experiment with 120 first before wasting money on expensive 5x4 infrared sheets!!

Thanks!
    Kubrick

Re: Filters for 5x4 camera?

An R72 would be fine. Remember, we no longer have deep infrared film so it makes no sense to go with a 'black', opaque filter.
    Someone else must help you with the size of the filters or whether they screw in because I do not have the lenses.

Hassel 80mm lens? I'm assuming you mean Hasselblad since you mention 120 film.

Hasselblad lenses take bayonet filters. The early Blad lenses took Bay 50 and the later took Bay 60 size. I once had a 500cm with 80mm Planar. I bought a Bay 60 to 67mm adapter from China so I could use screw mount filters too. Of course you can step up the 67mm to a larger size if you wish.

Thats great! Ah yes, the old kodak HIE infrared ghost?

I'm not sure if you need infrared for what you are shooting, but for extreme contrast, you can shoot line film and process it in a standard film developer where you would have a hard contrast effect, with a little bit of midtones, so maybe that would do???

Steve K

I have one each, Heliopan, 67mm IR 780 and an IR 645 filters that I could be persuaded about, if they would help you.

You can find info about IR filters here

http://shop.heliopan.com/c/infrared_...irected_post=1

Or on the Heliopan.de web page

Most newer large format lenses have standard filter threads. The filter size required can be found in any documentation on the web by a simple Google search. That said, my assumption is that your Nikkor 90mm is an f/4.5 model with an 82mm filter size (I assume due to your 84mm measurement) and as for the Linhof, well Linhof didn't make lenses, only stamped them with their name as a badge of quality. I'm going to also assume the lens you have is a 58mm filter size from your measurement. 82mm and 58mm are standard filter sizes stocked everywhere. Others have already mentioned that Hassy lenses are a little different.

As for high-contrast filters, I think you need to define what you really want to do. Color filters can increase contrast of course depending on the situation but also change color relationships. Perhaps what you really need to do is increase your development time.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Really useful information! Thanks!

Yeah, I was inaccurate in saying contrast, as iv found out I need a filter for infrared work rather than a standard colour one.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Most newer large format lenses have standard filter threads. The filter size required can be found in any documentation on the web by a simple Google search. That said, my assumption is that your Nikkor 90mm is an f/4.5 model with an 82mm filter size (I assume due to your 84mm measurement) and as for the Linhof, well Linhof didn't make lenses, only stamped them with their name as a badge of quality. I'm going to also assume the lens you have is a 58mm filter size from your measurement. 82mm and 58mm are standard filter sizes stocked everywhere. Others have already mentioned that Hassy lenses are a little different.

As for high-contrast filters, I think you need to define what you really want to do. Color filters can increase contrast of course depending on the situation but also change color relationships. Perhaps what you really need to do is increase your development time.
    Look up the Linhof Portrait lens from the late 70s and early 80s.

Why, what does that pertain to?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome