Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography and Politics

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Photography and Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    ...If he were still alive, he would be welcome to post his civil rights work, if presented in the manner thoughtfully described earlier in this thread.
    Meaning he could discuss f/stops and developers, but could give no context about the subject he was photographing?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Meaning he could discuss f/stops and developers, but could give no context about the subject he was photographing?
    Mark, is that what was thoughfully described earlier in this thread?

Rick "if so, not seeing it" Denney

Photograph of church allowed. We even have a thread on that.

Photograph of church with comment such as "I am posting this cathedral photo to raise awareness of the loss of religious freedom............." crosses the line.

It seems very simple. For the few years I have been around I think has worked very well. The forum has remained dynamic enough to catch my attention for several years without all the mixup politics and religion would bring. I really don't come here looking for someone's photographs with an agenda.

How about if a member has a topic that might be worthwhile for discussion but could be considered a violation the idea for the thread submitted to a moderator prior to posting.

Forgive my fear of change

Knj

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    I dare say that Gordon Parks was one of those handful of photographers who most would have preferred that he stopped aging at around 60, so he could live and work forever. If he were still alive, he would be welcome to post his civil rights work, if presented in the manner thoughtfully described earlier in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Mark, is that what was thoughfully described earlier in this thread?

Rick "if so, not seeing it" Denney
    Perhaps one of you could be a little more specific about which one of the 130+ earlier responses in this thread you are referring to?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Is it possible to write without political position or point of view? Are we reaching for an impossible ideal?

Today I carefully read the entire text/content of 3 mailed Costco flyers I got this week. It all seemed apolitical fluff as one would expect from a retail operation that has 1/3 of the total USA population as paid subscription members. One flyer as usual, rather bulky with do good stories. Nothing overtly mentioned the upcoming USA election, yet it was clear from 3 stories Costco was supporting one side. Subtle brainwashing by book reviews and notable feature articles about a certain family.

Can anyone tell from my little tale, which side?

Do some here already know my politics?

I am a long time Costco member. Will I remain?
    Tin Can

I'd allow to post a work about civil rights vs segregation.

>> In post #1 descriptions and transparent political agenda allowed

>> Since post #2 only photography allowed: f/stops, developer, Tri-X dramatism, and the like

>> If a "segregation vs civil rights" riot arised, then moderator warns, deteles what he wants and any complain from posters via PM: no public debate about moderation in particular political thread.

>> If Riot continues: thread closed.

>> If OP in the riot: thread deleted.

You cannot complicate life to moderators, if heated topics allowed then moderators need to show more power. Quite straight: lack of respect to moderators = direct action.

Perhaps one of you could be a little more specific about which one of the 130+ earlier responses in this thread you are referring to?
    I asked you first. I don't think any of the thoughtful posts earlier in the thread were advocating for allowing only a discussion of f/stops and developers. It seems to me those thoughtful posts were advocating for being allowed to post context, but perhaps draw the line at overt advocacy, or at the point where decorum breaks down.

Rick "exaggeration won't help" Denney

How about a simple solution, that doesn't involve a page of rules? And doesn't require months of commentary and hundreds of posts about the subject?

1. Have a Politics and Photography section. Allows people to ignore that section if they want.

2. Continue the rule of no politics in other threads and sections. Allows people that don't want to read about agendas to not be swamped with them. See rule no. 1.

3. Set up group moderation. This is the important one. The moderators complain about their high position and heavy workload. Simple - make moderation a democracy. If 3 or more members (any of us) click a "delete thread" or "delete post" button, it disappears. Allows a "reasonable jury" to remove problems, but not just one person to edit the world. The catch is I don't know how this software would allow that.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Today I carefully read the entire text/content of 3 mailed Costco flyers I got this week. It all seemed apolitical fluff as one would expect from a retail operation that has 1/3 of the total USA population as paid subscription members. One flyer as usual, rather bulky with do good stories. Nothing overtly mentioned the upcoming USA election, yet it was clear from 3 stories Costco was supporting one side. Subtle brainwashing by book reviews and notable feature articles about a certain family.

Can anyone tell from my little tale, which side?........

I am a long time Costco member. Will I remain?

Companies like Costco etc. would be absolutely stupid to get involved with politics. They are guaranteed to piss off about 40% of their customers. Look at what happened to Target's sales this year. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ings/84530886/
    I myself will not buy any Apple products now. Commercial for profit companies, especially retailers, are wise to steer clear of the deep sewer that politics has become lately. Here's an interesting story about Facebook on National Public Radio earlier this week. I think it well illustrates the depth of the polarization. I think LFP forums would also be wise to avoid it. Nothing positive is likely to come from it.

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2016/...itics-facebook

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post

I'd allow to post a work about civil rights vs segregation.

>> In post #1 descriptions and transparent political agenda allowed

>> Since post #2 only photography allowed: f/stops, developer, Tri-X dramatism, and the like

>> If a "segregation vs civil rights" riot arised, then moderator warns, deteles what he wants and any complain from posters via PM: no public debate about moderation in particular political thread.

>> If Riot continues: thread closed.

>> If OP in the riot: thread deleted.

You cannot complicate life to moderators, if heated topics allowed then moderators need to show more power. Quite straight: lack of respect to moderators = direct action.
    ... and ...

"If ... moderator warns, deletes what he wants and..." then offending parties get a 7-day timeout.

"If Riot continues: thread closed." or if there is "public debate about moderation in particular political thread" then offending parties get a 30-day timeout.