Thread: book review

book review

I've been reading View Camera magazine for some time, along with the sister publication, Photo Techniques and whatever books I can find with useful information. I have looked at the ads for Steve Simmons books, particularly on large format lenses. I like to look at a book before I buy - and this one is a bit pricey, and doesn't seem to be in any stores . Many of you refer to it in this forum. I would be most appreciative of your opinions; is it worth the money? Does it have more useful information than the older Calumet catalog? What do you think?

book review

"View Camera Techniques, by Leslie Stroebel. It is an expensive book"

Available used in different editions anywhere from $8.95 to $138.00...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

book review

Richard,
    Strobel' book is good; but it's rather expensive and it's really detailed. I have Steve's book and it's a good start for an overview. I have Jack Dykinga's book on Large Format Photography's as a reference because I'm interested in Landscapes as well as several of Dave Muench's books

If you are looking for advice on lel's, I found valuable info from Karry Thalmans' threads and his LF web-site.

I look to this web-site for reviews on books and then review what the readers says on Amazon.

book review

Just saw this on the bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=7510994036&rd=1

John Berry

Octogenarian

book review

Richard,

If you really believe that Steve's book is "a bit pricey", at $22, just compare it to the price of the huge amount of equipment and supplies that you wasted by not having the knowledge you needed when you were attempting to do large format photography. My dad used to tell the customers in his store: "if you can't handle the price, don't handle the merchandise".

book review

"Graphic-Graflex Photography," (GGP) published by Morgan and Lester until the 1960s, is still the best way to approach LF photography (up to 4x5). And don't forget the Ansel Adams Basic Series. The most important thing about LF is not about the tilts and swings, nor Zone System masterbation, but developing the right attitude. Try to get a post WW2 copy.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

book review

I think Amazon sells Steve Simmons "Using the View Camera" for about $15.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

book review

I'll mention John Schaefer's update/rewrite of the Ansel Adams guides, done at Adams' suggestion. Now out with a second volume, it should be considered a standard modern reference for serious photographers. Schaefer is a former chemistry professor and long-time large format photographer, and as President of the University of Arizona, he and Adams founded the Center for Creative Photography, so he knows of what he writes.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."