Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikkor-SW 8/120mm viewing and focusing

Re: Nikkor-SW 8/120mm viewing and focusing

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    ...I purchased a new Nikkor 120 SW...It turned out that I didn't need the lens as it had the same field of view as my150 Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S...
    Please explain. The Nikkor SW 120mm f/8 has a 105 degree angle of view and specified image circle of 312mm at f/22. The Rodenstock 150mm Apo Sironar S has a 75 degree angle of coverage and specified image circle of 231mm at f/22. How do you define "field of view?"
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 25-Aug-2016 at 16:34. Reason: To correct typo that resulted in Nikkor's angle of view at f/8 rather than f/22 being shown

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Please explain. The Nikkor SW 120mm f/8 has an 80 degree angle of view and specified image circle of 312mm at f/22. The Rodenstock 150mm Apo Sironar S has a 75 degree angle of coverage and specified image circle of 231mm at f/22. How do you define "field of view?"
    120mm SW Nikkor has a 105 degree coverage at f/22. My experience is that stopping down further ever so slightly increases the coverage a few more mm's.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    120mm SW Nikkor has a 105 degree coverage at f/22...
    Oops. I typed the Nikkor's f/8 rather than f/22 angle of view. Fixed now. At least I copied the 312mm image circle at f/22 correctly.

Thanks for the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This is not necessarily true. It depends on the focal length as well. It is much harder to focus a 58mm f/5.6 lens than a 120mm f/8 lens, and it would be easier to focus a 300mm f/8 lens than a 90mm f/8 lens. This is due to the angle of light (and also whether or not you have a fresnel, etc.).

I find my 120mm f/8 noticeably brighter than my 90mm f/8, for example.
    True, specially in the corners: as wider is the lens it has more inclinated rays are there (in general...), brightness also depending on GG/fresnel. But in the center of the image circle the 90mm f/8 is as bright than the 120mm f/8, as rays are just perpendicular (if no swing) to the GG in both cases, and the amount of light depends basically on aperture.

Regarding the angle - with the 120mm f/8 covering such a larger image circle, I'm guessing that the "center" of the image would then describe much more of the 4x5 frame as well. Perhaps that is why it seems to me to be much easier to compose with the 120mm lens. Shooting with really wide angles such as the 47mm and 58mm XL lenses the "center" portion, which may be at f/5.6 brightness, seems incredibly dim and/or small.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks everyone for the commentary. This has generated some good insights.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Please explain. The Nikkor SW 120mm f/8 has a 105 degree angle of view and specified image circle of 312mm at f/22. The Rodenstock 150mm Apo Sironar S has a 75 degree angle of coverage and specified image circle of 231mm at f/22. How do you define "field of view?"
    Several years back I took my Toyo 45AX with all the 4x5 lens to an open field next to the San Mateo Bridge's shoreline to compare the field of view of each as seen through a Blair 4x5 cardboard mount at infinity. The idea was to determine how many fingers extended from my nose were required to reproduce the field of view (what you see on the ground glass) as seen thru the lens at its widest aperture. I wanted to replace the Linhoff lens-finder which I carry with the cardboard Blair mount. I found the 120 Nikkor's FOV only insignificantly wider than the 150 Rodenstock and about the same as the 75mm Pentax 67 on the Pentax 67II which is my most used 6x7 MF lens.

Thomas

What do you want to photograph using LF?

How remote are the scenes that you want to photograph?

If you're not sure, I'd go for the 120mm f8 and downsize later if you don't need the large image circle. For example, the Fuji 125mm single-coated lens with inside lettering sounds interesting. Another possibility would be a Schneider, Super-Symmar 120mm HR, which has a larger image circle (211mm) than most non-super-wide lenses in this focal length.

For myself, my 121mm Schneider Super Angulon f8 was my second lens, and it's been a keeper. If needed, I definitely want to additional image circle. The 121mm Schneider SA is the single-coated version; the 120mm SA is the multi-coated version.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Several years back I took my Toyo 45AX with all the 4x5 lens to an open field next to the San Mateo Bridge's shoreline to compare the field of view of each as seen through a Blair 4x5 cardboard mount at infinity. The idea was to determine how many fingers extended from my nose were required to reproduce the field of view (what you see on the ground glass) as seen thru the lens at its widest aperture. I wanted to replace the Linhoff lens-finder which I carry with the cardboard Blair mount. I found the 120 Nikkor's FOV only insignificantly wider than the 150 Rodenstock and about the same as the 75mm Pentax 67 on the Pentax 67II which is my most used 6x7 MF lens...
    In other words, assuming a horizontal camera back orientation, you verified that any 120mm lens has a 51 degree horizontal angle of view on 4x5 and any 150mm lens has a 42 degree angle of view under the same conditions, as shown here:

According to the table, your Pentax 75mm's horizontal angle of view should be closer to that of the 120 than the 150.

How important different angles of view are depends on the flexibility one has when framing / positioning a camera as well as how critical one is about changes in the "look" when using different lenses. I find 120s to provide a significantly different "feel" than 150s. YMMV.

Hi all, I’ve started using the nikkor SW 120mm lens, has anyone else noted inherent light loss when using this lens? And how much E.g. 1 stop? Thanks