Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LFPF censorship and moderation

Re: LFPF censorship and moderation

If anyone cares, notice that I hardly post here these days. Wonder why. . . .
    The world is bad enough without having to deal with people with rectal-cranial inversion and a lick of power.
    There's a fine line between respect and censorship, and IMO the mods here often don't get it. I would like to see a higher, more sensitive, quality of moderation--not necessarily none--but I doubt that will happen.

I try to find places where I'm comfortable, myself. If I'm not, I leave. Usually it's not reasonable to expect systems to change around one person's needs, and I'm fine with that.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Wow - I think this is not a good day for this forum. Richard keep up the good work and you can send updates to me on your project, I find the work compelling.

bob@bobcarnieprintmaking.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    While we appreciate the fact that the quotes from the subjects are an integral part of Richardman's mixed-media (photo + text) presentation of the project, the LFPF is a photography forum, not a forum for presenting, documenting, or discussing sociopolitical issues.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=katrina

While we appreciate the fact that the quotes from the subjects are an integral part of Richardman's mixed-media (photo + text) presentation of the project, the LFPF is a photography forum, not a forum for presenting, documenting, or discussing sociopolitical issues. There are usually strong feelings on all sides of any sociopolitical issue. The quotes from the subjects in the project, however, open the door for discussion that is outside the scope of this forum. So, while some feel not allowing the text is unfair censorship, it would be equally unfair to censor the other side of the discussion.

Thus, our decision was to stay true to the focus of this forum, just the photography.

As a side note, this position also precludes other, similarly-presented projects, such as portraits of members of the American Nazi Party, members of the KKK, or portraits of ISIS members showing their handywork. If we were to allow one topic, we'd be obliged to allow all.
    Wow, I never thought I'd see the moderators of this forum equating transgender people with Nazis.

Ralph, that's just not true at all. The moderators have the ability to draw the line wherever they like, and they do, and here, we see that they have. Very disappointing. It's especially bad here because the thread was allowed to exist for three months before it was locked, so we can see clearly that the problem isn't actually the thread itself at all. As richardman said, the usual practice is to delete explicitly political posts and responses to them, and that could have been done here too. The other reason this moderator decision is especially disappointing is because, as I mentioned in a PM to Oren, it amounts to implicit support for the erasure of trans people's stories, an explicit political agenda pushed by the very person responsible for derailing the thread (Kent). This may not have been intended as a political gesture, but it is. The very existence of trans people should not have to be political (as Jody mentioned), but that's not a choice they made simply by existing. I guess that my having expressed this opinion makes this post liable for deletion, but oh well.

Just because my work rarely includes accompanying text doesn't mean that it doesn't have a fully intentional political message. If political work isn't allowed here, I won't be posting here at all.

Eric Biggerstaff

Lovely work and lovely words to go with it, nice job Richard.

However I see where the moderators are coming from, and they do not have an easy job to say the least in that no matter what they do someone will be ticked off. The thread was set up more as a presentation, or publication, of a photographic project (and one you should be proud of as the subject is important) which sort of blurs the line of critique, discussion, announcements, etc. It is really not even a photo sharing thread such as the "Nude" or "Alternative Process" threads out there which are really just people posting images they are proud of for the purpose of discussion or critique. Even the title of the thread sort of set it up as a publication vs. an image share.

I hope you continue the project and search for a publisher or a place to exhibit the work with the stories as it certainly demands to be seen. Perhaps we need to start a new site that is set up as a place for photographers to "publish" works such as this (regardless of format), likely there is one out there already but I just don't go out and find them. If you decide to no longer participate in the forum, well that is your choice, I wish you all the best and keep up the good work! You are heading down a path that is rarely taken, and will be the better for doing so.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

the LFPF is a photography forum, not a forum for presenting, documenting, or discussing sociopolitical issues.
    Not a forum for "presenting" or "documenting" sociopolitical issues? So now you are saying even photos can not be posted. Again, quite an escalation.

My images documenting a Trump rally should've been banned then.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

2 Bit Hack

Like most here, I think the thread should have been left alone and the comments edited. Yes, that is more work for the moderators but it is also their purpose. I see comments deleted by moderators all the time. Why not in Richard's thread? The act of deletion is political in and of itself.

I like Eric's idea calling for a separate site but I also feel that a new board here serving the same purpose would work quite well, a board for "Published Works: Review & Comment, Note: All political comments will be removed" or something similar.

Very nice work Richard.
    Regards

Marty

As a side note, this position also precludes other, similarly-presented projects, such as portraits of members of the American Nazi Party, members of the KKK, or portraits of ISIS members showing their handywork. If we were to allow one topic, we'd be obliged to allow all.
    So the position of the forum is that members of the LGBT community (and forum members) are akin to Neo-Nazis, KKK or Isis. That is both insane and offensive on a level beyond my ability to describe at the moment. You have more than crossed the line, you are now probably bordering on breaking the law.
    These actions and statements should be reported.
    The moderators involved should be removed at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    So the position of the forum is that members of the LGBT community (and forum members) are akin to Neo-Nazis, KKK or Isis. That is both insane and offensive on a level beyond my ability to describe at the moment. You have more than crossed the line, you are now probably bordering on breaking the law.
    These actions and statements should be reported.
    The moderators involved should be removed at the very least.
    We all make bad judgement calls - I feel you are going a bit overboard - I just hope Richard will still be allowed to post his images and stories and we move on.

I too was disappointed to see the thread closed and can fully understand the OP's frustration.

It might not have been a topic for everyone, but for those folks there's always the back button.