Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: LFPF censorship and moderation

2 Bit Hack

Re: LFPF censorship and moderation

I actually think that this whole situation is a good thing. It is letting the moderators know what the peoples of this forum think. Be glad that we can express our opinions about the moderation. There are many places where such a discussion would not be permitted.

I do have one question on allowable subject matter. Kock et. al. are trying to get permits to mine uranium from the regions around Grand Canyon. Would such a subject be open for discussion? I do believe that denying such a topic such as the preservation of the very subject matter of many photographers is extremely important and warrants some attention on this site. Is that viewed as a political topic? If it is not then I would state that Richard should be allowed to post the thread.
    Regards

Marty

Vancouver (Burnaby), BC, Canada & Hong Kong, HK

I come to this forum because there are occasionally substantive discussions about the practice of photography and not merely its materials or gear. I'm tired of photo forums where all activity is discussion about gear and gear and gear. I've learned about people's approaches, thoughts towards their work, and have learned about other communities and parts of the world though text attached to photos that are being shared in addition to discussions about technique, practice, and materials. LFPF has always had a good balance, in my mind.

That aside, this quote bothers me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    As a side note, this position also precludes other, similarly-presented projects, such as portraits of members of the American Nazi Party, members of the KKK, or portraits of ISIS members showing their handywork. If we were to allow one topic, we'd be obliged to allow all.
    No one obliges you to "show all" subjects. In fact, in some jurisdictions, showing off the handiwork of groups officially listed as terrorists may be considered under the law as aiding and abetting them. This argument that Ralph has made is specious at best and offensive to our collective intelligence at worst.

Richard's photos showcase an historically disadvantaged group. There's a need in our society to hear stories from disadvantaged groups. White supremacists, however, are not disadvantaged groups - and they don't need a platform here. But to suggest that opening the door to story sharing such as Richards must open the door to sharing the photos of ISIS is ridiculous. Does the same go if someone were to share a series of portraits of feminist activists? Would that series not be opening the door? I'm building a body of work about Chinatown in my city, which was an ethnic enclave when Asians were not permitted to own other property. Does that open the door?

I can appreciate that the forum is privately owned and operated and its operators may decide the content rules. I may decide to go elsewhere. I can appreciate different viewpoints, too, like Fr. Mark who would prefer not to engage in a thread such as Richard's, much like I would probably not prefer to engage in a thread about the intricacies of a Catholic church. To a degree, we must each allow the other their own - but we also must not engage in ridiculous ad absurdum argumentation.

Poor Richard. Poor us.

This is not an art forum. It's a discuss-materials-and-methods forum, with picture sharing as a valued auxiliary feature.
    Dude. Really? Where is that in the guidelines? Of what point is all the tech stuff if not in the pursuit of art? Maybe that is just my preoccupation but I sincerely doubt it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It seems the moderators have circled the wagon here. I thought it at least possible that an admission of slight overreach could happen, with a concurrent deletion of any overtly political posts and reinstatement of the thread (as well as allowing the project images and non-political life stories to be posted). But I guess that's not happening.
    We've thought about it, and are still thinking about it. I don't know where we will end up. Most likely we'll stand where we are. Conceivably somebody could say something that will change our minds; accusing us of bigotry isn't going to do it, though. Indeed, the overall tenor of the reaction tends to reaffirm our fears that certain kinds of topics bring out the worst in people and are way more trouble then they are worth to try to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I think that moderation deserves a respect...
    Nicely stated, Pere. Thank you.

Besides the name-calling that Sal pretty much predicted, the only real disturbing comment (my opinion, of course) made so far was based on religious bigotry...that apparently went un-noticed by most. So it goes.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Oren, the overall tenor of your response reaffirms my fears that this is not a welcoming place for photographs that touch on anything that anybody might politicize and that I shouldn't bother posting on this forum at all.

I think that here there is a bad cocktail.

Trans civil rights vs puritanism is confused with Materials&Methods vs Lounge&Art

Quote Originally Posted by 8thsamurai View Post
    His "hidden agenda" that minorities are people, congrats you caught him.
    As has already been so eloquently stated elsewhere:

"This is not the place for debating social change agendas."

Thank-you!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    the overall tenor of the reaction tends to reaffirm our fears that certain kinds of topics bring out the worst in people
    Thank you for at least considering it. However I would like to point out that I think the majority of these posts were not incited by Richard's thread - instead, they are a response to the moderation taken towards that thread. Hence my questions regarding deletion of the offending posts that brought overt political discussion into the thread. As Richard and others have pointed out - the thread was left alone for something like 3 months with no issues. This should clearly indicate that something changed, not that something was wrong to begin with. I would also point out my thread on the Trump rally as a clear example of a thread steeped in politics but which was not closed and has plenty of non-political posts (after some initial chatter as you know).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Harding View Post
    I come to this forum because there are occasionally substantive discussions about the practice of photography and not merely its materials or gear. I'm tired of photo forums where all activity is discussion about gear and gear and gear.
    Me too. I'm sorry to see this forum is just another one of those after all.