Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

Re: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

It's pretty easy to modify the old design: https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs...r-film-holders
    The new film holders are available on our website: shop.stearmanpress.com

Just got mine in the mail today: brilliantly designed. Solidly built. Worth buying. >Doug Young

This seems quite an old thread. Lot of things said about the holder are correct. I’ve the latest version (4) for my 5x4. Loading film is breeze. No leakage. Ease of use. Fantastic.
    Unfortunately, almost every sheet of film seems to getting streaks or marks consistent with the middle strips in the holder. This is probably user error.
    I load the film the same way as in the film holder. And keep the protruding notches away from each other. Any help or suggestions?

Not sure what you mean by "protruding notches..."?

Anyway, what your seeing is almost certainly anti-halation dye that hasn't washed out. Rewash in a tray and it should be fine.

Several questions:
    Are you pre-soaking? If so, stop. None of the modern manufacturers recommend it. If you want to continue, be sure to agitate during the presoak.

By any chance, are you using "softened" water? (Note that I said "softened" not soft.) The ion replacement process of artificially softening water appears to be softening the gelatin on the back of the film.
    Try using distilled water.

We have finally replicated this issue in our lab and are certain it's a water related problem. We're working on a video about this topic but we've never seen it with distilled water.

You can contact us directly at info@stearmanpress.com.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post

Anyway, what your seeing is almost certainly anti-halation dye that hasn't washed out. Rewash in a tray and it should be fine.

Several questions:
    Are you pre-soaking? If so, stop. None of the modern manufacturers recommend it. If you want to continue, be sure to agitate during the presoak.

By any chance, are you using "softened" water? (Note that I said "softened" not soft.) The ion replacement process of artificially softening water appears to be softening the gelatin on the back of the film.

We have finally replicated this issue in our lab and are certain it's a water related problem. We're working on a video about this topic but we've never seen it with distilled water.

Tim
    email on the way Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post

Several questions:

Tim
    You are correct about treating water. We have so much Calcium carbonate dissolved in our water we use a water softener, it does a great job. The ion exchange resin exchanges sodium for calcium. The result is water so loaded with sodium carbonate that it's impossible to use for developers. I installed a reverse osmosis system for pure water (for the film). The dye is an issue no matter what tank you use, I use hypo clearing agent after the fixer, purple film drives me crazy.