Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

Mine arrive this morning. I have not used it yet, but thought I would start a thread for impressions, reviews, tips, etc. specific to this tank.

My initial impressions:

- Its smaller than I expected (I don't know why I expected it to be bigger). I can see already that this will be my go to for travel, as it will fit easily in a suitcase (much easier than the Paterson Orbital I currently use for travel). I expect it would be as easy to load in a darkbag as holders are. Companion for the Travelwide.

- It uses more chemistry that an Orbital, but I expect you can use the same chemistry for several loads, whereas I use the Orbital one-shot.

- fit and finish are fine, except one small bit of flash on the bottom of the tank that makes it a little wobbly. A sharp chisel or a fingernail file will fix that easily.

I'm happy so far. I'll update after I have used it.

Re: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

Here's a new video the makers posted. Note the suggestion to squeeze the tank a little while capping to get a better seal. Not sure if that is necessary or not. Anyhow I'm looking forward to trying it out as soon as mine arrives. Should be any day now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrtU0bhArQ

Just received one and ran a few sheets through it. I used Diafine as that is my quick developer for small runs, the tank worked fine. Sheet holders loaded easily and the tank did not leak. However, three of the four sheets I developed did have lines/marks on the back from the ridges on the film holder. I may need to look into how I do the wash cycle, perhaps remove the film from the holders and wash using stainless holders in a dip tank?

This is a small section, the vertical lines are a match for the ridges on the film holder. I am going to do a rewashing later today to see if that will remove them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softflower 2370 copy.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	154281

I received my tank a couple of days ago. Just finished processing two sheets of TMX in Xtol, 1:3 dilution. I photographed the north sky and an evenly lit wall (checked with my Sekonic L508 spot meter) to check for uneven development. I used inversion agitation, 4- inversions every minute for the 13 minute development time, using two inversions each direction which took about 10 seconds. The tank fills and drains rapidly, however I had to tip it back and forth a couple of times to completely drain the tank. It appears to be a well designed and made tank. Very easy to load. I plan to examine both sheets with my densotimeter after the film drys. However, the development appears to be very uniform per visual inspection.

Normally I develop 4X5 using a Jobo 3010 on a Chromega motor base from my Cibachrome days. Since I often develop two to four sheets at one time, this new SP-445tank will be very useful and convenient and it permits the use of intermittent agitation.

I forgot to mention that I used continuous agitation during the stop bath and fixer cycle. I fixed the film for 5 minutes in Ilford Rapid Fixer, 1:4 dilution. After 3 quick rinses and a two minute bath in Perma Wash, I removed the film from the holders and completed the final wash in a Yankee tank.

Bob,
    In our testing, continuous agitation (with the wetting agent) for 60 seconds eliminated any lines. Of course, it may depend on the film you're using, how you agitate, how much wetting agent you used, which one you used, etc. Please keep us posted.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    Just received one and ran a few sheets through it. I used Diafine as that is my quick developer for small runs, the tank worked fine. Sheet holders loaded easily and the tank did not leak. However, three of the four sheets I developed did have lines/marks on the back from the ridges on the film holder. I may need to look into how I do the wash cycle, perhaps remove the film from the holders and wash using stainless holders in a dip tank?

This is a small section, the vertical lines are a match for the ridges on the film holder. I am going to do a rewashing later today to see if that will remove them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softflower 2370 copy.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	154281

As a follow up - I had success with two procedures

1. Removing the film sheets and using stainless hangers in a dip tank for washing resulted in film without the lines.

2. As I have used Diafine in dip tanks with rather passive agitation I decided to change it up for a comparison. I ran a batch through the SP-445 using a much more aggressive agitation approach throughout the process. During the wash cycle I also used agitation and on the last step used Photoflo with a minute of agitation. Sheets do not show signs of the lines on the back side.

My problem is solved - operator error

As a comment from limited use (4 cycles) - I would have liked an attachment for a hose for washing, or perhaps a funnel. As I recall from using the Combi-plan tank years ago there was a slip on attachment for washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    As a follow up - I had success with two procedures

1. Removing the film sheets and using stainless hangers in a dip tank for washing resulted in film without the lines.

2. As I have used Diafine in dip tanks with rather passive agitation I decided to change it up for a comparison. I ran a batch through the SP-445 using a much more aggressive agitation approach throughout the process. During the wash cycle I also used agitation and on the last step used Photoflo with a minute of agitation. Sheets do not show signs of the lines on the back side.

My problem is solved - operator error

As a comment from limited use (4 cycles) - I would have liked an attachment for a hose for washing, or perhaps a funnel. As I recall from using the Combi-plan tank years ago there was a slip on attachment for washing.
    The CombiPlan T tank came with two light tight hose connectors. One on the bottom of one side panel and one on the top. A standard hose could slip onto either one.

just reporting they have found their way to Melbourne. Australia!

I hope some others will describe their experiences and that someone will compare the SP-445 to the Mod54.