Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera has ceased publication

Re: View Camera has ceased publication

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Those rates dictated how often we would advertise as we wanted the most possible exposures to both buyers and subscribers but also to the magazines that had the most pass through to additional readers.
    When ads in photo-oriented magazines was our primary advertising avenue we used to use different "800" telephone numbers for each publication and then tracked the rate of incoming calls. This goes back 20 years. We didn't have the sophistication to measure the number of orders or an order's value, but we could measure traffic. Nowadays of course, measuring ROI for advertising dollars is a considerably more sophisticated endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by henryp View Post
    When ads in photo-oriented magazines was our primary advertising avenue we used to use different "800" telephone numbers for each publication and then tracked the rate of incoming calls. This goes back 20 years. We didn't have the sophistication to measure the number of orders or an order's value, but we could measure traffic. Nowadays of course, measuring ROI for advertising dollars is a considerably more sophisticated endeavor.
    As we had no where near the time or funds to use different numbers we did it the simple way. Just asked each and every caller what motivated their call and what did they read.

Found out that where we thought that they read was not what they actually read.

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Yes, indeed. Now, if only someone could publish a cumulative index of all of those articles from View Camera so we might locate articles of eternal value. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    sounds like a kick starter...

anyone want to volunteer their collection?

I'd probably have fun with such a project.
    Might want to get Steve on board with this kind of effort first as I'm guessing he owns copyright to most of that material. He was not clear in the message what he plans to do with it other than maintain the web site for a year. Maybe he has similar plans...

I agree, though, it would be a shame to not to broaden access to this wealth of knowledge.

To my eye (as an outsider), the loss of subscribers and advertisers were, for the most part, self inflicted wounds. I know that many, including myself, were critical of Simmons in the way that the magazine was being run over the last few years. IMHO, he made some big mistakes once he was on his own and maybe he should have asked for help to try to save it. But you’ve got to give him credit for creating something that had a lot of years of good to it. More than most of us have done…

RIP, View Camera Magazine.

Is View Camera magazine dead?

Has View Camera magazine ceased publication?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Is View Camera magazine dead?

Yes, long thread on this recently, they have ceased publication.

View Camera Magazine - not printing anymore

I subscribed in May to View Camera Magazine wanting to get more exposure to images and large format info. It has been some time after sending money in through Paypal and not hearing anything - no conformation of purchase. I logged onto the View Camera Magazine website and it said that they have suspended printing and would have a presence for a while on the web.

Re: View Camera Magazine - not printing anymore

Maybe you can get your money back from paypal. I think there is a 6 month time frame.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

good luck!

This is old news there have been several other threads about them spotting printing.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Thank you Jon I will contact Paypal.