Thread: Timing Jobo Step

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Post Timing Jobo Step

How do you time your processing steps when using a rotary processor? For example do you start the time at the instant you begin pouring chemistry into the tank, upon conclusion of the pour, or at some point in between? I have always started the timer at the beginning on the pour but today I gave that some thought and decided to start the timer at the mid-point of the pour. The negatives (C-41) are hanging in the bathroom to dry and look good so far.

Thomas

Re: Timing Jobo Step

FWIW, I start timing mid-pour. Been doing it that way for 20 years and my negs are fine.

I also start mid pour, been doing that for around 30 years, including heaps of C41 and E6 roll and sheet film, not to mention all the roll and sheet B&W stuff.

I start draining the first bath, which is the developing bath, I do this early enough to have the lift/drum assembly back rotating a few seconds prior to the time end of the first bath. I then immediately start pouring the stop bath in, at the exact time the first bath time is up. From then on, timing isn't that critical. Whatever you do, if it works, just do the exact same procedure each time from then on.

C41 is about the shortest standard developing time in the business, so timing the steps to the second, is critical. Having the lift makes this critical timing step easy peasy, time after time after time.

Mick.

I start on the start of the motor, so as soon as the tank starts rolling. I don't think it matters what you do as long as it's reasonably close to the start of the process and you're consistent in your timing.

As long as you are consistent, it doesn't really matter.

I usually start timing as soon as the tank hits the water after dumping the old chems - right hand hits the timer button while left hand pours.

As stated, just do it the same way for each step in a reproducible manner. I like to do it right at the beginning because it was easy.

Lachlan 717

The couple of seconds that it takes to pour will not affect the result, especially for longer Dev times.

I think a much greater consideration is the strength of your developer and the resulting initial development as it hits the film. I use Tetenal which can be used at 1:10, 1:20 or 1:30. I use it at 1:20 as this is the best balance for less aggressive initial development and enough developer to avoid exhaustion (esp. On ULF sheets).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Hit the footswitch, start the pour.