Thread: Fix a shutter --or not?

W K Longcor

Fix a shutter --or not?

I am starting to think about reducing the size of my old lens collection. (This posting is NOT a sneaky offer for sale -- please do not contact me asking about buying --OK?). Anyway, I have a nice set of LARGE B&L Protars (23" & 27" elements), front and back elements. They are in a good looking, but not working Volute shutter. My question-- would I be better off , come time to sell, if I invested in having the shutter repaired. Or, would the cost of repair be too much vs. the value of B&L Protars?(Therefore, sell "as-is")?

Re: Fix a shutter --or not?

Bill, what is a working lens worth and how much to repair the shutter? That will answer your question.

Well, your first problem would be finding someone who will actually work on a Volute shutter. That and the fact that Volutes are less desirable than Compounds when it comes to Protar VII sets. The 27" component is definitely worth something. Much less common than the 23 inch component. You are probably better off selling as is.

I know some people are still using them but my experience has been if they are running properly (very cool -- 3 second exposures!) they won't be for long. I finally donated all my dead Volutes to Carole Flutot's boneyard. Depending on diameter, your elements may fit in a Betax that is much more reliable and more easily serviced. If you want to sell them, then list the thread diameter and sell them in a shutter that isn't currently working but looks intact. These are rare enough that I would not expect the fact that the shutter may need service and can possibly be repaired to severely hurt the value. I have lots of protars (but not a 27" element) and if I saw an ad like that I'd assume I'd be looking at mounting them in something other than a Volute anyway.

W K Longcor

Many thanks for the comments. I realize that I probably worded the question wrong. I guess I should have said ---- does anybody care if a Volute shutter works or not, and would it affect your buying decision? I think that I have decided that while a Volute is a great and most interesting "collectable" , the "use" factor is much less. So, when the time comes (maybe in time to get cash for holiday shopping) I guess it will go "as is" and let the buyer find a huge Compound or Betax.

Or Sinar Shutter.