Thread: Part for Thalhammer tripod head

Part for Thalhammer tripod head

I have a Thalhammer tripod, the head for which has a quick release. The quick release plate is secured by a small lever that fits over a hexagonal tightening rod. Well, the lever turned out to have been made of pot metal and cracked in half. I tried epoxy, but the amount of pressure applied to tighten the quick release was too much for the epoxy.

So, I am looking for a source for some type of replacement that is better than carrying around a small socket wrench. Does anyone have an idea where I can find a small lever with a hexagonal female opening and set screw?

I have tried Google searches but can't seem to find the right words to use to get results other than socket wrench sets. Any help would appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Part for Thalhammer tripod head

Thalhammer made tripods for the movie industry. I doubt that today you could find parts for one but you might try some stores like Adolf Gasser in SF and Samy's in LA as they do carry pro movie stuff. But is the head made by Thalhammer or just the legs? If the head is made from someone else, who? Is the quick release built into the top plate of the head of is it a add-on removable quick release? If so, who made it?

The head is by Thalhammer. The quick release plate is cylindrical and about an inch thick with the threaded screw on which the camera is attached. The quick release cylinder fits into a round female clamping mechanism that is tightened by use of the now broken lever. Without some way to adequately tighten the clamping mechanism, the camera cannot be stabilized. I have been using a small screwdriver type socket, which works, but would prefer finding something that resembles the original - even if not an OEM part.

Quote Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
    The head is by Thalhammer. The quick release plate is cylindrical and about an inch thick with the threaded screw on which the camera is attached. The quick release cylinder fits into a round female clamping mechanism that is tightened by use of the now broken lever. Without some way to adequately tighten the clamping mechanism, the camera cannot be stabilized. I have been using a small screwdriver type socket, which works, but would prefer finding something that resembles the original - even if not an OEM part.

Good luck, but you will probably have to, if possible, replace the head, or, if not possible, buy a new tripod or visit a machine shop.

I was afraid you might say that. Thanks.