Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider G claron 150mm

Schneider G claron 150mm

There is one on sale boxed and in mint condition copal 0.

What do you guys think of theis on a 4x5, good enough and what price would you pay.

neophyte

Re: Schneider G claron 150mm

The g-clarons are small, sharp, and they have large coverage: I use a 150mm for 5x7. They are dimmer for composing compared to the f4.5 -- 5.6 common in this focal length. They do need to be stopped down to f22 or so to get good infinity sharpness as they are designed for 1:1. Pricewise in shutter they seem to run 150-400USD on ebay

I think that my 150 is great. I bought it new from Robert White's in 2002 for £212-00 plus the dreaded VAT but I don't regret it. As Brian says, it covers 5x7 as well, so It'll be there when you move up from 4x5. A 150 G-Claron and a 203 Ektar cover about 95% of my needs on 5x7. I also read on this forum (and it was never disputed) that the late G-Clarons were slightly adjusted for L.F. photography rather than process work.
    Pete.

the 150 G Claron is a great lens for specialty applications, but not the best choice for a general purpose lens. For example, it is not very sharp wide open, offers less control over depth-of-field than a faster lens, and is more difficult to focus under low light conditions. It excels in moderate macro applications and for light weight travel.

I'd stick to a standard F5.6 plasmat if I were you - much easier to focus in poor light and you don't really benefit from the reduction in lens size/weight until you get to longer lenses.

David Whistance

The G-claron series was designed for use in graphic reproduction camera's now practically obsolete. Most are at their best at 1 to 1 reproduction. In a way, its a macro lens. A printer would seldom use it beyond about 1 to 5. It was designed with emphasis on strait lines and maximum contrast, because that's what a printer wants. The reproduction camera seldom needs a shutter, the exposure is regulated by turning on and off the lamps. But the design does accept one, so many have been equipped with one.

It is a great little lens. Here is a link to a shot I took using my 150mm g-claron.
    http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3445998
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    It is a great little lens. Here is a link to a shot I took using my 150mm g-claron.
    http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3445998
    Jon
    There is something hazy/bluish in the bottom areas of the photo? That in the original?

I second it as a fantastic general purpose lens plus being excellent for close focus. I have a 150, 240 and 305 plus two red dot artar graphic arts lenses that i've used on location and in the studio for thirty years (RD artars). The advantage of the G Claron over the RD is much greater coverage but about the same image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    There is something hazy/bluish in the bottom areas of the photo? That in the original?

No it isn't in the print and I am not certain it shows on my monitor either....BUT I have been tied to my desk all day and everything looks bluish to me at this point.
    Jon