Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson Surecolor P800

Epson Surecolor P800

I cannot take the clogging issues of the Epson 4900 anymore and want to replace mine. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Epson Surecolor P800?
    What rags does it print on well? Does it do digital negatives? Any clogging issues so far? Thanks!

Re: Epson Surecolor P800

Quote Originally Posted by ndg View Post
    I cannot take the clogging issues of the Epson 4900 anymore and want to replace mine. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Epson Surecolor P800?
    What rags does it print on well? Does it do digital negatives? Any clogging issues so far? Thanks!
    Hi Nana,

I don't know about clogging issues with the P800. But for sure the *900 series appears to have been a dog in every size.

If you want to make digital negatives I would suggest you go back a bit in time and pick up a 7800 or 7880 (or 9800/9880). I am using now both a 7800 and 7880 and never have clogs with either of them, in a climate very similar to yours. Look around on sites like Craigs List for these printers in your area, which have a great reputation for digital negatives. With me for certain, and some others I know but won't mention.

I very seriously doubt that the P800 would give better results with digital negatives than a 7800/7880.

Just my two cents worth of course.

Best,

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

mitch

I have had my P800 for 9 mo now and even leaving it sit for weeks and twice months have had no clogging problems . I use Museo portifoilo rag and museo max and inkpress for digital negs
    I love this printer.
    mitch

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Hi Nana,

I don't know about clogging issues with the P800. But for sure the *900 series appears to have been a dog in every size.

If you want to make digital negatives I would suggest you go back a bit in time and pick up a 7800 or 7880 (or 9800/9880). I am using now both a 7800 and 7880 and never have clogs with either of them, in a climate very similar to yours. Look around on sites like Craigs List for these printers in your area, which have a great reputation for digital negatives. With me for certain, and some others I know but won't mention.

I very seriously doubt that the P800 would give better results with digital negatives than a 7800/7880.

Just my two cents worth of course.

Best,

Sandy
    Sandy, thanks! It seems to be the C/VM channel that clogs constantly so I can print B&W but no color.
    I want a printer that does it all like the 4900 when healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    I have had my P800 for 9 mo now and even leaving it sit for weeks and twice months have had no clogging problems . I use Museo portifoilo rag and museo max and inkpress for digital negs
    I love this printer.
    mitch
    That's good to know! Thank you!

I've been printing on one of my students p800 and I love it. Better D-Max and if you look at Aardengberg-better longevity. I'll buy one myself as soon as I have the spare coin.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

A friend of mine runs some "regular prints"(aka stuff off the web, or word documents) through his 24" Epson EVERY DAY. He also keeps a dust cover on it all the time, until it's in-use. Not sure about which model it is, but he's NEVER had a clog or needed to run a head cleaning. Was recommended this regimen of care by an Epson technical rep who taught a class he took early on in his digital printing days. Yes, those "regular prints" cost money in ink, but combined with setting the printer to auto-print a test page 1-2 times per week in addition, it's cheaper than changing the heads or wasting money on cleaning cycles due to clogged jets/nozzles.

Epson Surecolor P800

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    A friend of mine runs some "regular prints"(aka stuff off the web, or word documents) through his 24" Epson EVERY DAY. He also keeps a dust cover on it all the time, until it's in-use. Not sure about which model it is, but he's NEVER had a clog or needed to run a head cleaning. Was recommended this regimen of care by an Epson technical rep who taught a class he took early on in his digital printing days. Yes, those "regular prints" cost money in ink, but combined with setting the printer to auto-print a test page 1-2 times per week in addition, it's cheaper than changing the heads or wasting money on cleaning cycles due to clogged jets/nozzles.
    Believe me, I've done it all. Humidifier, a test print 5x/week, dust cover. Sometimes I'll run test prints 4 days straight. On the 5th day, I get nothing! I even have the Epson program to charge and clean out the lines!
    The x900 printers are dogged by clogging issues.

So is my 4880. Of course the Arizona climate and the fact that I print maybe once every month or two could be contributing. I'm interested in this discussion because I'm also thinking about a P800

Edit: Only thing that doesn't look so good about it is that there doesn't seem to be a roll cut-off knife. Which is probably not an immense problem. Would really like a 24" printer, but space (and $$$ as always) is a bit tight..
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 17-Aug-2016 at 14:21.

Someone should get a class action suit started against Epson for the 4900 and its problems. They put out a printer that is not fit for what they say it will do.
    On the P800 - a good friend and printer who does a lot got rid of his because of recurring problems with ink delivery and went to HP. After more than 500 prints with the HP the first month - no problems. The Epson was a major disaster and Epson tech folk were not good about helping. His dealer was good to him and refunded what he paid for it.