Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Incoming Saltzman!

Re: Incoming Saltzman!

It's a 'WA' model which is the smallest and lightest 8x10 Saltzman. I have the 1961 catalog in hand. I estimate 550 lb and under 9ft tall without head. It has a 'modern' color head. In 1961 there were 3 factory heads. Tungsten/condenser, Cold Cathode and Mercury Vapor.

I have parts of the Mercury Vapor head but I recycled the lamp as it had nearly a lb of mercury in it and I didn't want it breaking in my studio. It WAS the most powerful head of the era at 4500 watts and could burn a 50ft mural according to the catalog.

The lenses were 12" Artar or Dagor.

It's on a dolly laying down. There will be 3 men.

No I have not seen it. But Chicago grapevine knows the history of it.

More info when it comes home.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Durst is the outfit that made horizontal enlargers, not Saltzman. Everybody knows that. But who designed all the sideways plumbing, Kreonite?
    Saltzman did make horizontal enlargers.
    Tin Can

It will be interesting to see how you fit it in. I didn't think there was room for one more! :-)
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    It will be interesting to see how you fit it in. I didn't think there was room for one more! :-)
    Maybe one needs to squeeze out, but I actually have a spot ready.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Saltzman did make horizontal enlargers.
    They sure did. This one of two that I know of.
    I wouldn't argue with Randy Moe. He has the
    original catalog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saltz1-tmp.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	153950

Drew Wiley

Randy, everything is horizontal in your part of the world anyway, even the world itself! I sure don't want to move anymore of these damn machines. The last one had to get lugged up two flights of stairs from a downtown basement by six of us, then across an open-air restaurant owned (trying not to crush anyone to death while they were just trying to sip their latte), then onto our double-parked flatbed truck. It only got worse back at my lab. Anyone want the remaining Durst? It will probably still be down there longer than the Egyptian pyramids have been around. There is a fancy horizontal one left for sale, nicely wrapped up. He wants 75K for that one, but it has a lot of finicky electronics. Over twenty other LF enlargers simply went to landfill, including about six Omega F 8x10 units. Somebody else even threw away a nice Durst 138 recently because there were no takers. I didn't know about it until it was too late. 138's are relatively easy to move.

It's a 'WA' model which is the smallest and lightest 8x10 Saltzman. I have the 1961 catalog in hand. I estimate 550 lb and under 9ft tall without head. It has a 'modern' color head. In 1961 there were 3 factory heads. Tungsten/condenser, Cold Cathode and Mercury Vapor.

I have parts of the Mercury Vapor head but I recycled the lamp as it had nearly a lb of mercury in it and I didn't want it breaking in my studio. It WAS the most powerful head of the era at 4500 watts and could burn a 50ft mural according to the catalog.

The lenses were 12" Artar or Dagor.

It's on a dolly laying down. There will be 3 men.

No I have not seen it. But Chicago grapevine knows the history of it.

More info when it comes home.
    Gotcha Randy, that sounds lighter, hope you can lift it with 3. I have a smaller model, but my post was attached to the base when we lifted it into the trailer.

I was told it would be difficult to re-insert/install the weights in the post if I removed the base from the shaft. After looking at it, it did seem like that could be an issue so I just left them together.

I used a leverage system and bricks to slowly and safely raise the enlarger by myself over a period of a few hours once I got it in my darkroom space.

There was a thread about it but it was removed at my request after it seemed to be causing too much stress/grief for me.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

PS. I would love that Mercury head/bulb for some alt work if you still have it?

I may be able to trade you for a 35mm carrier for it.

Also I've been looking for an 8x10 stretcher carrier, I have two glass carriers but would prefer the stretcher kind if you would be interested in a glass carrier.

Anyway if you have questions about install let me know. Or ask Jac, he knows a lot and is a great resource as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Gotcha Randy, that sounds lighter, hope you can lift it with 3. I have a smaller model, but my post was attached to the base when we lifted it into the trailer.

I was told it would be difficult to re-insert/install the weights in the post if I removed the base from the shaft. After looking at it, it did seem like that could be an issue so I just left them together.

I used a leverage system and bricks to slowly and safely raise the enlarger by myself over a period of a few hours once I got it in my darkroom space.

There was a thread about it but it was removed at my request after it seemed to be causing too much stress/grief for me.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

PS. I would love that Mercury head/bulb for some alt work if you still have it?

I may be able to trade you for a 35mm carrier for it.

Also I've been looking for an 8x10 stretcher carrier, I have two glass carriers but would prefer the stretcher kind if you would be interested in a glass carrier.

Anyway if you have questions about install let me know. Or ask Jac, he knows a lot and is a great resource as well.
    As I wrote earlier the Mercury Lamp was recycled. Nothing to sell. It was an environmental hazard that only resembled the Arista solution. Cold Cathode was the fluorescent type.

I have and use a Saltzman 5X7 neg carrier/stretcher. Works fantastic. Tight as a drum head.

Calumet made the only Prêt-à-Porter 8x10 neg stretcher I know of. I use one. Drew and others will now say they are useless and one simply MUST use AN Glass sandwich carriers. Glad they have their solution covered.

My only question for you, Stone, is yours operational and in usage?
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Well, sorry if I did initially confuse that horizontal Saltzman with a polka accordion, something I remember from the Fargo movie, it seems. And yes, always a full
    glass sandwich carrier here. We don't seem to have the same problem as the Midwest custom of trying to put pastrami in between. Mercury is still mercury. Don't
    eat fish out of the Bay here. Old cinnabar mines to the south, gold rush era quicksilver still percolating down the rivers from the east. Damned CFL bulbs now raining it from the skies.

As I wrote earlier the Mercury Lamp was recycled. Nothing to sell. It was an environmental hazard that only resembled the Arista solution. Cold Cathode was the fluorescent type.

I have and use a Saltzman 5X7 neg carrier/stretcher. Works fantastic. Tight as a drum head.

Calumet made the only Prêt-à-Porter 8x10 neg stretcher I know of. I use one. Drew and others will now say they are useless and one simply MUST use AN Glass sandwich carriers. Glad they have their solution covered.

My only question for you, Stone, is yours operational and in usage?
    Operational yes of sorts, in use, no. The darkroom itself isn't finished, the last wall isn't ok, the sink isn't in, the plumbing isn't in, the electrical box that needs moving to be to code isn't moved, and it's 100 degrees or so in my garage now, life things happened (actual family health and real issues not "my car broke or my gf is mad at me" but real serious problems, so yes it projects light and could be used if I wanted to do a dry run at night maybe at 2am if it got cool enough to set up trays and such, but I honestly haven't had the real time or energy and other priorities take precedent. School for the summer ended 2 weeks ago and school for the fall starts in less than 2 weeks and I just haven't had the time to devote to that project. But yes, in theory it's now operational. There are some tweaks I need to make to have it fully and correctly working (like adjusting /adding tension springs and re-sanding and painting the base board, all the other parts have been sanded and painted. It's 97.5% complete. It's the space surrounding the enlarger that's filled with stuff from a move and such. It will get the rest done when time permits. School and other obligations come first unfortunately.