Thread: Graflex Rangefinders

Graflex Rangefinders

Hi Everybody. I have sometime in my hands, so I thought I should resurrect couple Kalhart and top mounted rangefinders in my speed and crown graphics. It appears the mirrors or beam splitters or whatever one calls, it have become completely unsilvered. Is there a way to resurrect them or replace them. Researching through, I found articles pertaining to this matter-Edmund Scientific etc-I am not able to find replacement mirrors. Does anyone have a source for them. Help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. What is the difficulty factor in getting these range finders to work properly.
    Thanks

Re: Graflex Rangefinders

Quote Originally Posted by nagairaj View Post
    Hi Everybody. I have sometime in my hands, so I thought I should resurrect couple Kalhart and top mounted rangefinders in my speed and crown graphics. It appears the mirrors or beam splitters or whatever one calls, it have become completely unsilvered. Is there a way to resurrect them or replace them. Researching through, I found articles pertaining to this matter-Edmund Scientific etc-I am not able to find replacement mirrors. Does anyone have a source for them. Help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. What is the difficulty factor in getting these range finders to work properly.
    Thanks
    Edmond scientific has them in several variations. Perhaps net-wisdom can help you and me. By chance I have a new-inbox-RF Graflex RF which is, IMO, not likely to be perfect due to age of the parts. Age is our issue.

I agree age is the issue not only for my graflex but for me also. Age has deteriorated the stuff. Modern medicine has kept me going. Hope I can say the same thing about my cameras. If you could point me to the right direction in Edmund Scientific I would be grateful

Try Surplus Shed: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l14550.html. I have some of these, but haven't d\tried cutting them down for a Graflex rangefinder yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Try Surplus Shed: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l14550.html. I have some of these, but haven't d\tried cutting them down for a Graflex rangefinder yet.
    Thanks. Ordered them today. Will see how it goes

I bought what I need (I think it was called a beam splitter) from Edmunds scientific. With a little practice I broke off an appropriately sized little square after scoring it with a glass cutter and glued it in place with Goop. Still works fine 20 years later. Make sure you put it in the right orientation, which I think was silvered side pointing toward the back of the camera.