Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Film Drying, Best Practices

multiplex

Re: Film Drying, Best Practices

kirk

home despot / loowes
    sell suncast closets that have shelves and twin doors.
    i removed the shelves and put framers wire across
    and use clothes pins and have had dust problems
    i used to have/use a metal closet ( like sold at office stores )
    that worked great, when i moved i had to use something else ..

Much like Ari and after having terrible issues with dust in my old apartment i ended up with film drying cabinet locally - i think i paid 40$ for mine. Added air filter to it that i occasionally change and dropped paper towels on the bottom, so when things drip they also work as humidifer/dust catchers - helped a LOT.... And added bonus is that it has forced air of regulated temperature, so drying went from hours to like 15-30 minutes.

That is one problem with using larger drying cabinets. I have a California Stainless cabinet and it does pretty most of the time, but if the air gets too dry I do occasionally get dust. If you can justify the expense, they make a smaller version here that is just for small batches of sheet film.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I would be cautious about adding an electrical device to the problem chain (steamer). Maybe just a pan of distilled water in the bottom of a drying cabinet. I used an Arkay film drying cabinet with a filter in the top, no forced air, photoflo. We have very dry winters and never dust issues.

My wife has several customers who shoot film (she's a fine art printer here in Atlanta) and we had a hell of a time finding a good lab to recommend because every lab we sent film to returned it with embedded dust. As a former lab rat I could tell the maintenance on the film equipment was being neglected, most likely either not using filtration in the drying stage or not cleaning the filters. We finally found a great resource to use - Edgar Praus. Perhaps he might chime in and offer a couple of tips. Kirk, the fact that you are using filtration in your drying cabinet and still getting dust means the air is not getting cleaned or there is already dust in the cabinet. The drying cabinets we used had forced heated and filtered air. The longer it hangs there wet the longer it has to pick up what's floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    My wife has several customers who shoot film (she's a fine art printer here in Atlanta) and we had a hell of a time finding a good lab to recommend because every lab we sent film to returned it with embedded dust. As a former lab rat I could tell the maintenance on the film equipment was being neglected, most likely either not using filtration in the drying stage or not cleaning the filters. We finally found a great resource to use - Edgar Praus. Perhaps he might chime in and offer a couple of tips. Kirk, the fact that you are using filtration in your drying cabinet and still getting dust means the air is not getting cleaned or there is already dust in the cabinet. The drying cabinets we used had forced heated and filtered air. The longer it hangs there wet the longer it has to pick up what's floating around.
    I'll second Edgar, excellent service and no dust, can't hurt to call him and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    Kirk, the fact that you are using filtration in your drying cabinet and still getting dust means the air is not getting cleaned or there is already dust in the cabinet. The drying cabinets we used had forced heated and filtered air. The longer it hangs there wet the longer it has to pick up what's floating around.
    You didn't read my post carefully. I never said I added a HEPA filter and was still getting dust. I haven't run any film yet since adding it. I was asking now that I have added it, what else might I do to minimize dust.

I've added a HEPA filtration system to my drying closet. I'm figuring on blowing clean air into it for a few minutes, letting everything settle then hang my film in the still clean air. I'm not in a hurry so I don't need to blow dry air in when they are hanging. I have also heard of people misting their drying cabinet down with filtered water and letting that settle. What do people do who live in extremely dusty environments like the SW?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have an Arkad CD-10 w/filter but seldom run the unit to dry film. Usually I hang the sheets (4x5, 5x7, and 8x10) in it to air dry - takes about 4 hours - and have never had dust settle on the film. 120 and 135 strips are too large for the dryer (unless I cut them down to size). Instead I squeeze them and hang from the ceiling heater in the bathroom and close the door. Again it takes about 4 hours for them to dry and if I have to use the bathroom during that time I simply maneuver around them. Dust has never settled on the strips.

Thomas

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Off topic but: why do you need Photo flo?

Distilled water mist from spray bottle to front and back of washed negative while holding it with alligator clip on corner. Very dry climate but negs hang to dry over my still wet 8 ft darkroom sink. No dust

problem.