Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Century 9A Restoration

Re: Century 9A Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by mikl View Post
    Hi Peter I imagine that is it but it is a huge studio camera and the box is so deep so I was wondering the application for the short lens would be, it would never have made it out of the studio I imagine.
    Michael
    Groups.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Big studio Peter lol but yes you might be right.
    Michael

Bit quiet on the weekend as the shop is open but a couple more photo's and the thread will be up to date.
    I am very happy with how the paint stripped off, very little to no residue and I am still yet to go over and wipe with alcohol and then re stain to get the camera and stand the one base colour then I need to work out what serviceable finish to put on it.
    The winding mechanism on the stand is the next part to strip and then all the fittings.
    Michael

Any bellows experts around? I am struggling to identify the bellows material, it is a replacement but pretty old, it is stiff but not overly and seems pretty light tight, the felt inside is in good nick.
    I trimmed a sliver off the join and did a burn test and I am thinking it is leather. There was no toxic vinyl sort of smell just a burnt odor. Any ideas appreciated before I put the wrong rejuvenation on it.
    The first pic is the vid of the sliver burning.
    Michael

https://photos.smugmug.com/Century-9...144944-640.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by mikl View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Packard shutter... I have a massively recessed lens board box aprox 200mm or 8" deep (WHY?) ...
    Thoughts appreciated.
    Michael
    Hi Michael, my Kodak 1B (very similar but only a single bellows extension) came with the same sort of box. As far as I could tell it was for using shorter focal length lenses with a reducing back, probably 5x7, half plate or 4x5, where the bellows were simply too long even at minimum compression to allow the lens to be focussed.

Aha Paul I reckon you have hit the nail on the head as there was a 5x7 reducing back that came with it. Awesome! I knew the collective wisdom would sort it out.
    Thanks
    Michael

mikl, hard to tell in the second photo of the bellows seam that's lifted up in post # 24 , but it looks like it has a fabric backing
    it may not be vinyl, but a polyurethane material, composite leather, or book cloth.
    Can't hurt to just damp cloth wipe the bellows if they're in good shape.

That seems to me to be the glue Jim, I know it is hard to see form the pic, The burn test was inconclusive really (did you see the link to the video?) so I think I might try the heated spoon and see if it melts test next. Def going to give it a wipe down regardless, it is reasonably supple but I am sure it would liven up with a treatment.... just what treatment is the question?
    Michael

Aren't these the sexiest little wheels. Every part of this thing is made to fit, sounds silly but there are not many obviously adapted and "it will do" gear on this camera.
    These are underneath the camera mount and what rolls in the "V" groove when operating the rack and pinion for focus etc. There are 4 of them.
    Michael

The V-groove and rollers were a big innovation over previous wood-on-wood sliding cameras.