Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wollensak Series III Wide Angle

Wollensak Series III Wide Angle

Mike,

The f9.5 has eight elements in groups of two elements each. It has eight air to glass surfaces, so coating is particularly helpful. At the time it was introduced it was considered unusually fast for a wide angle.

In 1922, the f12.5 was referred to in Wollensak's catalog as the "new Series IIIa". It figures that it would be a later design than the f9.5, since it has the same series number with a letter after it. I am quite sure that I have seen a diagram of this lens showing four individual elements, but I can't put my finger on it now.

Like the Protar series VII, the Wollensak Series 1a Convertible has four elements, all cemented, in each cell.

Like so many other process types, the f10 apochromatic is a dialyte, type, four individual elements.

References regarding coverage of the f9.5 and f12.5 are mostly ambiguous if not downright confusing. You'll see figures that don't mean what the lens is capable of, just what angle is used in covering the rated plate size at infinity. You'll also see listings of the f9.5 only at full aperture and the f12.5 both at full aperture and at a small opening.

Wollensak seems to have gone back and forth regarding whether one or both the f9.5 and the f12.5 would be in production, if only one, which, and in what focal lengths. The 8X10 lenses seem to be much more common than the other sizes. Richard, I think you are fortunate in finding your 108mm.

Speaking of the IIIa 159mm I am also fortunate to have aquired a 158mm Cooke wa anastigmat f.6,5 series VIIb in a syncro compur shutter (8x10) and a 133mm f.6.3 (sic) in barrel (5x7). Lovley little lenses

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Richard- how does the 158mm Cooke compare with the 159mm Wollensak in terms of sharpness, sharpness at the corners and coverage?

Also, where do you live, when will you be out of the house, and do you leave a window unlocked? ; )
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The Cooke Wideangle anastigmat series VIIb seems to be universally aclaimed, there's a lot of information on it, here and in the f.32 site. Cooke is planning to make a series VIIc as well as the 2 convertibles and the portrait lens. It was made in a lot of different lenghts 82mm thru 222mm.

Richard - Do you know whether the barrel-mounted Cooke VIIb lens cells fit any standard shutter sizes? Also, have you actually received an affirmation that Cooke will be putting the VIIc into production? I know that they've gotten a some requests for this lens, but haven't heard yea or nay for sure.

Mine was fitted to a synchro compur, much to the astonishment of people interested in this particular lens since the cells are very closely spaced. The one who made it had to machine custom parts etc but it is perfect. I made a sinar board packard shutter behind the lens adaptor for the 133mm. I only payed £38 or something for that lens. Barbara at the Cooke has more or less promised it will be made after the new 4x5 convertible. I want the VIIc 82mm. I will gladly part with a 75 and a 90mm Super Angulon to get it.

My old f/9.5 was labeled 6-1/4" Extreme Wide Angle Velostigmat Series III. I don't think the WA vs. EWA rule can necessarily be trusted. Mine was uncoated in a #3 Betax.

There must 100 different variations of these lenses, and in my opinion much of the discussion is academic. They're just sweet little lenses that are so small (the lens itself is about the size of a quarter), even in a shutter they'll fit in your pocket. Pain in the ass to focus, though.

there is one ex.wa 108mm at ebay now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7511280974&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Re: Wollensak Series III Wide Angle

what size lens caps should I find for the series III? (barrel measures 47.5mm) any ideas what the original caps looked like?

Re: Wollensak Series III Wide Angle

I was recently given one of these lenses with a front lens cap. The cap feels like heavy gauge steel, enameled with “Wollensak” engraved onto the front slightly italic. The cap is black felt lined. The shutter is a Rapax and works reasonably well, though I don’t have shutter tester. I was surprised to find it covers the ground glass on my recently restored 8x10 Carlton by the Rochester Optical company. I built a bellows and fabricated some brass parts, and had only tried it with some meniscus/close-up lenses. Compared to those, this is way sharper! I’m going to mount the lens onto a home built lens board and it’s going to live in the “go places” 8x10 kit. Mine is a f12.5 6.25”/159mm Velostigmat Extreme Wide Angle No. 520865