Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon-A 360mm f/10 picture examples

Fujinon-A 360mm f/10 picture examples

Hello everyone!

I've heard so many nice reviews regarding Fujinon-A 360mm f/10 lens but I couldn't find any picture examples on the web!? Do you have any images or links to share just to see how good it is? What do you think: will it work well for portraiture or landscape work at infinity for 8x10?? I'm thinking to substitute my Sironar -N 360mm with Fujinon -A 360 but I'm in dilemma because Sironar 360mm is really very good for taking portraits on 8x10. ? If you have any examples for a Fujinon-A 300mm it would be great to see too.
    I'll appreciate to any reply! Thank you so much!

Re: Fujinon-A 360mm f/10 picture examples

Maybe the reason you can't find any example images is because that lens is really hard to come by; and, if you happen go find one (good luck!) it'll probably cost ya more than a decent used car.

"I've heard so many nice reviews"

We need to be cautious about glowing reviews since they don't always convey the whole story.

With 8x10 if you're simply trying to squeeze a few extra % of resolution for huge prints of landscape or architectural subjects, your enlargement/scanner methodology and film flatness may have more of an impact than lens choice. However in portraits with 8x10 (where depth of field will be very shallow and precise focus impossible) the differences between any of these lenses will be negligible.

The main advantage of Fujinon A's over other plasmats is their relatively compact size: more important if you're hiking, less important for portraits. They are not miracle lenses. With a maximum opening f/9 or 10 they can be hard to use in dim lighting.

Here's a portrait made with a Fujinon 300A on 5x7 film, with detail section.

Here is a landscape image made with a Fujinon 300A on 8x10 film.

Here is church building made with a Fujinon 300A on 4x5 film with detail section.

If you get a 360mm APO Nikkor or APO Ronar you will get a lens of equivalent or even greater sharpness, but with less coverage. Coverage is rarely an issue when making portraits, so the need for a plasmat is questionable. These lenses are more portable, much more affordable and easier to find.

I'd be surprised if a 360mm Fujinon A were substantially sharper than a good sample of a 360 Sironar N. The Fujinon is smaller, but with 8x10, the size and weight of a few extra film holders can cancel any savings.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 9-Nov-2018 at 00:16.

My primary lens on 8x10 is a Fuji 360mm CM/W; bigger than the A version, but smaller than my 360mm Schneider Symmar-S. IMO, it doesn't really matter what lens you put in front of 8x10...its all good!

I don't have A360, but mine is an A300 by 5x7 Ilford Delta 100

Drew Wiley

There IS an allegedly NEW (!!!) 300 A MC for sale right now on the auction site for only about $1100. I'm shocked it didn't instantly sell. I prefer the slightly longer length and bigger image circle of the 360. It's a dream lens not only for 8x10, but as a long lens for 4x5, and is even fully sharp enough for 120 roll film use, from near-macro right to infinity. It's one of my favorite and most-used lenses for both color and black and white. These perform much better at close range than general purpose plastmats, are obviously might lighter to carry with less shutter vibration or front standard weight (no.1 shutter), so superior even to the 355 G Claron in this respect, with the added advantage of being multi-coated (versus the single coating of the G). Way better at extreme tilt edge defintion than even the legendary Kern 14" dagors which sell for three times as much (or don't sell). Posting web "evidence" that these lenses are indeed worthy of their reputation is a waste of time. You need to walk up to a 40X60 Cibachrome print of a patch of lichen, with a loupe in your hand. Of course, none of this means
    a damn thing is you don't have a precision filmholder for your 8x10 anyway, or full glass carriers in your enlarger. But even for 4x5 use, it is a stellar lens worth
    every penny. Therefore I strongly disagree with Ken's opinion compared to ordinary plastmats. In comparison to an Apo-Nikkor 4-element lens, he is correct.
    The Apo Nikkor is even sharper than any official view camera lens I've ever encountered this focal length, BUT by the time you've got it mounted in a no.3 shutter you've lost a lot of its benefits. Sharpness is affected not only by optical formula but shutter vibration in combination with front standard and overall
    camera rigidity. It makes all the difference in the world on monorails or lightweight field folders, for example, all other things being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    There IS an allegedly NEW (!!!) 300 A MC for sale right now on the auction site for only about $1100...
    Not new. Look at the images; clear signs of use. I'm guessing Omer simply checked the wrong box when preparing his listing.

Drew Wiley

Thanks, Sal. But I never nibble at anything myself without checking out the "fine print" or for typos. Still worth knowing about if anyone is in the market for one
    of these. I saw only two clean 360's come up for sale in a decade, then all of a sudden, over a dozen in two years, but now back to rarity. I sold my spare to someone here. 355 G's have more nominal coverage due to the lack of mechanical vignetting by the no.1 shutter in the Fuji, so are usable for some ULF contact
    printing applications, though probably no better in actual edge sharpness engineering-wise. Both the 300 and 360 Fuji's have plenty of wiggle room for 8x10 film.
    But these are hard-sharp lenses with "clinical" edge rendering. So for portraiture per se, I personally prefer something less modern, like tessar formula (Zeiss or Fuji L) or dagor formula.

Drew, or anyone, really -- Since we are talking 360mm, I have a Fuji W 360 (inside lettering) on its way to me. For the 8x10...and hopefully for the 11x14. Anyone with experience of this lens on 11x14. I have a newer (outside lettering) Fuji W 300, and do like that lens for 8x10.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

The 360 Fuji A would handle 11x14 film head-on for studio-style portraiture, but not with typical landscape movements. For you're own needs, Vaughn, you've made
    a better choice; either that or a 355 G-Claron, which I've sometimes wished I had along for maximum rise in the redwoods. But I "cheat" and use a 450 instead,
    which I always carry too.