Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A 77 Year Old Camera Goes to the Mountains - Kodak Medalist

A 77 Year Old Camera Goes to the Mountains - Kodak Medalist

I recently won an auction on a camera I've been wanting for a while, a Kodak Medalist I in excellent condition. Whenever I get some new photo gear, I head up the canyon to Rocky Mountain National Park to test it out. It was a windy, wet day in the park with lots of overcast skies. Makes for some interesting shots though!

I wish there was a way to display these images like they are displayed on my calibrated screen, large and full of tones, the down res image displayed on the internet color palate doesn't let you see the full qualities of these images.

Anyway, saying that, here they are.

These were shot on a 77 year old Kodak Medalist I that I received a couple of days ago. These are my first rolls and my first shots taken with this old camera, so I really didn't know what to expect. The first images were shot with trough a minus blue filter on Neopan Acros 100 film rated at 50 ISO and developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 9 minutes. After they dried, I scanned them in using an Epson V750 pro.

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

These next few were taken between 11,500 ft and 12,000 ft altitude. It was raining on and off, but it made for some good photo taking.

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Re: A 77 Year Old Camera Goes to the Mountains - Kodak Medalist

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 6 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

These last images were using the same film and shot through the same filter, but I used Pyrocat MC at 1:1:100 to develop them. The negatives were a little thick at 15 minutes development time, so next time I'm going to develop for 12 minutes.

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 7 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 8 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Kodak Medalist 1 - Test 9 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Thats it for now. I have a few other photos (I shot 3 rolls, so 24 exposures total), but they weren't as interesting, or were doubles of these.

Next weekend I am going to take this camera, along with my 4x5 large format camera and my D600 to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park for some more photography and camping.

I've got a Medalist II. The lenses on these cameras are outstanding. And with a little practice, you can rewind 120 onto 620 reels. Have fun with it.

Foamer

I've been thinking of buying one, interesting reading your perspective. Would like to hear more about what you think of the camera in use. I've been using a c.1937 Voigtlander Bessa RF and will take it with me to Canadian Rockies. Both Medalist and Bessa have a 5-element Heliar designed lens. I'm pretty sure mine is uncoated though, where Medalist has internal elements single coated.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The earlier Medalists had coated lenses, gold in color on the coating, and it is fairly soft and often overcleaned on the front element. The Medalist II had a 'luminized' blue coating that is quite durable.

The Medalist is a great walk-around camera. If you aren't a high-volume professional user re-rolling 120 onto 620 film isn't really a problem. I've heard it's not hard to convert the supply side to 120, although I've never found good enough instructions on how to attempt it myself. Supposedly, Kodak designed the camera to make it especially hard to convert from 620 to 120, as they were the only major film manufacturer to offer 620 I believe.

Those are pretty . . . but . . . it doesn't really count unless you take it to the mountains in a 77 year old car ;~'))

What is a "minus blue filter?" Like a K1 or K2?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What is a "minus blue filter?" Like a K1 or K2?
    A yellow filter
    T