Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood tripod, sticky sliding legs

Wood tripod, sticky sliding legs

I have a Berlebach wooden tripod that is very weather-worn. I do not mind the bleached-out and gray stained wood. The issue is that it has become too difficult to slide the legs in and out.

I hope there is a wax I can use on the inside surface of the legs where they slide against each other. Any recommendations? Or would an acrylic spray finish be better?

This is new ground for me and I don’t want to make the situation worse.

Thank you,
    Jac

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	153614

Re: Wood tripod, sticky sliding legs

I have used regular paste wax on my wood tripod legs, seems to work fine.

Looking at your image I would suggest a lite sanding or going over with fine stainless steel wool and then applying a proper oil. I would then wax after the oil has dried sufficiently. This approach will protect the wood and be easily serviceable in the future.

Long ago we used talcum powder to make slide rules work smoother.

If the finish on the wood is ok, just rub the moveing parts with an old candle. This should get things moving.
    If the finish or the wood itself is a bit roughI would definitely not use sandpaper to smooth it. The grit from it will keep grinding away at the wood every time you adjust the legs. You could try scraping it. A flat bladed knife should work.
    Then you would need to treat the bare wood before candle waxing it, with whatever finish, oil or varnish, is already on the wood.

Alan

As Bob suggested, common paste wax works well. Johnson's Paste Wax, found in most any grocery store, is what I use for my Ries tripods. They are older models with worn finish. Humidity causes the leg extensions to swell and jam, which is very frustrating when I'm trying to set up a shot. The wax helps to protect the wood as well.

totally agreed. I had to do the same with my Berlbach although it was no where near this weathered. Anyway a very fine grit sandpaper followed by a refinish and furniture oil worked beautifully.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

+1 on a total refinishing job... It looks like it might be swelling slightly, and no amount of just wax will solve it at this point...

Since it's hardwood, even starting with a medium coarse grit should be OK, and going down to a very fine grit, followed by a non-sticky hard finish would be good, and would protect the wood it the future, make it more weather resistant, and be easier on your hands when using and carrying... And be MUCH prettier!!!

Don't worry about taking off too much wood surface while light sanding, as most wooden leg locks can usually over-tighten enough to make up for the loss of surface (but check beforehand)... And most hardwoods sand fairly slowly once you get past the dry surface...

Steve K

I clean mine with naptha, then follow with very light coating of paste wax.

Have you sent a note with this picture and your question to the contact address found at www.berlebach.de?