Thread: Instant film backs

Instant film backs

Can someone help the new guy understand? Why is it that I am seeing so many Polaroid, Fuji and Kodak instant backs and pack holders up for auction? I know that a couple of the Polaroid backs can be used for New55 instant film, so I get that, but do the other backs have a use? Is there a way to hack them? Just curious.

Re: Instant film backs

Hello from France!

Basically you have two kinds of instant film backs that can fit a large format camera for the 4"x5" format (see below what exists for 8"x10").

The first kind of film back, e.g. Polaroid 545 or 545i takes 4x5" sheets one by one. You can even expose the film in the field, take it off inside its light-tight envelope, and process it later at home. This kind of back is required to use the NEW55 film that produces both a re-usable negative and a positive.

The second kind of back, e.g. Polaroid 405, takes film-packs with 10 sheets each. In this kind of film, image size is about 3"x4" i.e. much smaller than in the previous 4x5" kind. With this kind of film pack, you have to process the image in order to have access to the next sheet in the pack.
    Fuji used to supply instant film for this kind of back, named FUJI FP-100 C, you can still find as of Aug. 2016 a remaining stock, but the company has officially announced the discontinuation of this product line.

Hence the only remaining instant film still in fresh production, and useable in the above mentioned 545-type for back, sheets used one by one, for 4"x5" cameras, to the best of my knowledge, is NEW55Film.

We should of course mention other instant film, manufactured in the Netherlands by a company named Impossible.. They just re-introduced a camera dedicated for instant film like in the good old days of amateur polaroid instant photography.
    This kind of "Integral" polaroid-like film produces small images, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no film back adaptable to a 2"x3", 3"x4" or 4"x5" large format camera to accommodate this film.

However Impossible do produce 8"x10" film, I have no idea how it can be used in a 8"x10" camera, except by using an old original polaroid 8"x10" instant film back.

Hence if 8"x10" instant film can be manufactured today by Impossible, there might be some technical ways to manufacture it in 4"x5" for 545-type polaroid backs or for 405-type of film backs ... wait and see.

A view over the Impossible booth at the 2014 Photokina in Cologne, Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by twosmooth View Post
    Why is it that I am seeing so many Polaroid, Fuji and Kodak instant backs and pack holders up for auction?
    Because they've become pretty much useless. As Emmanuel explained, the only film still available is New55 and that is very expensive. So everybody who owns such a back tries to sell it but nobody is buying.

Emmanuel, that was very in depth. Thank you!

Ron, that's what I figured, but I'm seeing some backs that are over $100 and it got me thinking that maybe there is a demand. I was hoping to find a diy solution or some company I hadn't heard of yet!

So, you guys are telling me, the only backs worth looking at are the ones that are compatible with New55. That's a bummer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, New55, Impossible and Fuji Instax are the only options for instant film right now.

Catlabs of JP has announced they will make a new pack film replacement for the fuji fp-100c.
    http://www.catlabs.info/we-will-make-packfilm

The Impossible 8x10 is very nice, and very expensive. You'll need special filmholders (polaroid), and a processor. When Impossible announced there 8x10 film, the price of these processors and film holders went sky high.

Polaroid did make a lose back for there sx70 (Impossible) film. It can be converted for 4x5 cameras. But like everything instant film related, these backs are hard to find and expensive.

the only backs worth looking at are compatible with ..
    ... 4x5" peel-apart polaroid-compatible films.

But if there is sufficient demand (thanks to HoodedOne for the info), may be people at Catlabs or some other people will be able to manufacture film packs compatible with 405-type backs.

As they say in the US "If there is is a demand, there will be a manufacturer!"
    Think about vinyl records, vacuum-tube amplifiers and horse carts

Actually I bought a used 545i 4x5" instant film holder on eBay from an European seller for about $30 including postage, since I had found some outdated 4x5" polaroid film to finish.
    Admittedly, this occurred several months before NEW55Film launched their crowd funding process.
    And now they speak about color instant film!

I agree. Most should keep their Instant/Polaroid/Fuji backs as they are worth LESS right now.

I bought an 8X10 Polaroid Processor and 2 film holders with a bit of film for very little just months before Impossible announced new 8X10.

So it goes...
    Tin Can

If you read through Catlabs updates and read carefully you realize there's no real plan, no real research, nothing about their R/D, just buy film. I want to be wrong but I have very little hope in just a hashtag and no real concrete ideas.

The people of the Analog Product Institute http://analog-product-institute.com (Florian "Doc" Kaps/founder of Impossible Project) has been working hard looking for funding and posting updates of his travels to Japan and the US. You can read the last update here http://the.supersense.com/blogs/news...k-from-the-usa and the rest of updates here http://the.supersense.com/blogs/news...d/savepackfilm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am saddened that I just got into lf and that instant film isn't as available. I actually interned at Fuji Film from 97-02. I wish I knew what I know now.

That being said, I am determined to try to shoot Polaroid 600 with my 4x5. I think it's the nostalgia of it. I found a post where an "instant camera guy" mounted the Impossible Project Instant Lab to a Graflex '22' roll film back. I'm going to try something like that. Is it possible to buy an extra back for a Shen Hao 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by twosmooth View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am saddened that I just got into lf and that instant film isn't as available. I actually interned at Fuji Film from 97-02. I wish I knew what I know now.

That being said, I am determined to try to shoot Polaroid 600 with my 4x5. I think it's the nostalgia of it. I found a post where an "instant camera guy" mounted the Impossible Project Instant Lab to a Graflex '22' roll film back. I'm going to try something like that. Is it possible to buy an extra back for a Shen Hao 4x5?
    You shouldn't need to buy another back for your Shen Hao, you should be able to modify something to work with your Graphlock/International back.
    Ira Summers