I have several 5x7 film holders which need the felt light traps replaced. Could someone give me some tips on how to proceed?

These are old Kodak and Graflex wooden holders, so easy to access light traps by removing four screws.

The felt is wrapped around the brass spring material (along with a protective plastic? strip) then crimped by the tight fold of a metal strip. As you can see in the attached photo, when using a small flat head screwdriver to pry apart the fold I create small indentations in the metal. Hmm... that doesn't look like it will be easy to crimp back flat and tight.

What kind of tool(s) do you use to properly open and reseal this crimp/fold that holds the felt in place? Seems that if I don't pry the crimp apart and just pull the felt out then I won't be able to get the felt stuffed back up there... there must be some technique I'm not thinking about. I've seen several posts in the archives which suggest people see this as a common easy thing to do but don't state any type of tips or instruction.

Also, I've read that some folks use adhesive to glue the felt in place... if that's advisable, which type of adhesive is best? One person commented that some adhesives will off gas or leave an oily film that can possibly damage film.

Also, recommendations for exactly what type of felt and source for such? The original seems very thin to the types of felt I have and see in stores.

Thanks

Keith Ostertag

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light-trap.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	153456