Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets see how you store your gear!

Re: Lets see how you store your gear!

Hahahahahahah! My wife would kill me if I showed you pics!

My 8x10 is in my wheeled cordera tool bag in our bedroom along with other gear. My tripods are in my bedroom closet. I have some equipment both on and in a cabinet in the dining room. I've got a Mamiya C220f and a C220 sitting on my computer desk right now. I've got equipment at the end of our couch in the living room in the corner of the room. On our landing going down to the basement I have two cases containing my Novatron studios lights.

Yes, my wife is a saint!

I just got a big shelving unit, 36"x24"x72", so I can finally keep all the photo gear in one place. It's great not having things scattered around the house or on the floor.
    Backpack, hard cases and shoulder bags are in various states of use, some bags are empty (I like photo bags), and odds and ends are in small plastic containers.

My wife and I have a room in the basement in which we have a floor-model dehumidifier. We keep it below 40% humidity, and below 70° F. Has not disappointed us for eighteen years.

Everywhere. I've got studio & lighting gear on shelves in both bedrooms, a C-stand in the dining room, cameras, lenses, and accessories on the bookshelves or hanging from hooks in the living room, in camera bags, in cabinets, and in drawers. Chems in the bath cabinet and in the future darkroom (a connecting breezeway from the house to the garage). Enlarger, sink, glassware, & big trays in the future darkroom. LF camera usually on the tripod in the dining room along with a len + board & Packard shutter.

During the week the dining room is a studio, so right now it has a background & lights/reflectors set up along with the LF camera.
    Last edited by seezee; 1-Aug-2016 at 15:05. Reason: Grammar + expanded answer
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Most of it is kept in a 25 CF safe in a climate controlled room with a very significant alarm system. There are two more shelves below the ones shown. A few other view cameras (Sinars) are in a loft closet. Any questions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	153465

(Shrek)

As my gear mutated and reproduced (GAS? Don't know what that means...) I slowly took over the entire 2nd floor of the house. My wife sends guests up there to look now and then, when she wants to prove I'm a lunatic.

Mostly in original cases(Deardorff V8, Folmer & Schwing Banquet, Graflex and Ansco Vulcanoids) A couple of GI surplus canvas 5 gallon water cooler bags and some plastic storage bins (not Rubbermaid but similar) for the rest(each format, 4x5& 5x7, 8x10 and 12x20 has a box, so do the enlargers. Anything that doesn't have a home lives in a filing cabinet. Oh, and there is one cannibal box (actually a large heavy waxed cardboard box with a tight fitting lid---chicken used to come in them and my butcher would save the boxes for me---excellent for camping!) Old leaky film holders and other stuff rest there until donor parts are needed.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Right now some gear is spread over a table in our sun room and the rest is in plastic bins from Home Depot. I am Looking for a better storage solution, I find the bins make it difficult to find the gear I'm looking for at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by profvandegraf View Post
    Right now some gear is spread over a table in our sun room and the rest is in plastic bins from Home Depot. I am Looking for a better storage solution, I find the bins make it difficult to find the gear I'm looking for at any given time.
    You must have quite a bit or—stuff.

Just my suggestion;

Sort format specific stuff by format.

sort non-format specific stuff by function.

As noted above, my gear is pre-packed in format specific shooting kits like a "prepper" wouldo pack a "go-bag" for emergencies.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

First off live in southern New England. Constructed a large room in the basement. Waterproofed the concrete walls then normal 2x4 wood construction. Insulated walls. Covered with waterproof sheetrock. Hung ceiling. 1/3 of the room a darkroom, 1/3 of the room storage shelves, and the other 1/3 work benches.

For equipment storage open shelving and metal KOBALT shelving units (with doors). Each camera system is stored in it's own large case. 35mm, FX, 120, and 4x5 in Gura or ThinkTank backpacks. Whole plate, 8x10, and 11x14 in Pelican plastic cases or old cases (made for the Sinar Norma) with custom fitted interiors. Insides padded with OEM soft separators or custom compartments padded with the dense foam sheets made for placing on a concrete floor.

Tripods storred on the wall horizontally resting on garage plastic coated heavy duty hooks.

Over 95% of all equipment in hard cases, camera backpacks, or in plastic Sterilite cases (Walmart) with matching tops. Vacuum the floors once every 2 weeks and everything remains relatively dust free.

Room temperature in the summer a constant 70 degrees. In the dead of winter never gets below 60 degrees. Have a small space heater that I can preheat the room up with but almost never do.

Humidity in the cold months between 45-50%. In the warm months have a dehumidifier which keeps the room between 50-55%. Print Platinum/Palladium so consistent humidity important to me. When I use the darkroom end of the room, always wipe down the sink when done. Never have had problems with increased humidity even after using the darkroom for a full day.

Only problem I have had with my storage is on hot very humid days in the summer with condensation forming on the equipment when I take it outside. If I know that will be using a system the next day, will take it upstairs (room temperature 74 degrees) and leave the case out open overnight.