Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 210mm 5,6 Copal 1 help

Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 210mm 5,6 Copal 1 help

Hello,
    I have the above lens that I purchased used for 4x5 but never used it as I decided to go 8x10 and now 11x14. I have been researching on an appropriate price to sell and found that the prices are all over the place which led me into deeper research that there may be different versions??.. Some for $2400, some half that etc. Serial number is 11685519. Also, some are in a copal 3 shutter and the old ads on a popular photography selling store list a copal 0 so not sure why. Mine is a Copal 1. There are also some forums that say they are ED glass and some say it must say SE to be ED glass. One of the descriptions on the above store list ED glass but it only has a S on it. So I am trying to find out a bit of history. Looking at the Rodenstock serial numbers pages that are out there it is somewhere around 2002 (I believe, might be wrong). I have also read about current version vs previous version and not sure about that either.
    So, anyone know what all the different copals are and if that means anyting? do I have a current/last version? ED glass or not? Is there a justification for all the price difference? Anyone out there can educate me? I originally purchased at a really great price so I thought until I decided to sell so maybe I didn't. LOL
    Thanks for any help.
    Dan

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 210mm 5,6 Copal 1 help

The 150mm apo Sironar-S only came in a 0 shutter with ed glass: http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/Arch...7-42__8226.pdf

Thomas

There is only one version of the 210mm Apo-Sironar-S, and it was supplied in #1 shutter. The same lens was sold under the Sinaron SE label. Both use the same optical design, with the same ED glass.

The 210mm Apo-Sironar (no letter designation) and Apo-Sironar-W were supplied in #3 shutter. This is a different lens, with a different optical design and a larger image circle. Any pricing you see on the Apo-Sironar(-W) is irrelevant to your lens.

No 210mm Sironar or Apo-Sironar lens has ever been supplied in #0 shutter.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Yeah...I misread the subject thinking it was about the 150mm. But as the Rodenstock link shows, a 1 shutter was used for 210mm.

Thomas

And, you might bear in mind, that your 210mm Apo Sironar S fully covers 810 at infinity at F22.
    And 2002 is correct for the year of manufacture.

They do occasionally show up on Ebay. You might check there for completed sales to give you an idea of current prices.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I may have been mixing up Sironar and Sinaron as I was looking around. I have never used the lens on my 8x10 because from what I read there would be no/limited movement and the cost to mount on a KMV lens board is too much to find out. I am currently only using my nikon W 300mm and a Fuji 450 C for 11x14. I wanted to get something longer for my 11x14, hence the rodenstock sale to help pay . Thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I may have been mixing up Sironar and Sinaron as I was looking around. I have never used the lens on my 8x10 because from what I read there would be no/limited movement and the cost to mount on a KMV lens board is too much to find out. I am currently only using my nikon W 300mm and a Fuji 450 C for 11x14. I wanted to get something longer for my 11x14, hence the rodenstock sale to help pay . Thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the knowledge.
    Granted the coverage, at infinity is limited but on the other hand it gives you a much wider angle lens then your 300mm and without the fall off of a 200mm wide angle lens at a fraction of the size and weight.

FYI, the Apo Sironar W 210 is an outstanding lens for 8x10 with plenty of room for movements.

Not sure what 8x10 camera you are using, but make sure you have sufficient bellows draw if you pick up a lens beyond 450 mm. 600 mm is the obvious suspect and that requires a very long bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    FYI, the Apo Sironar W 210 is an outstanding lens for 8x10 with plenty of room for movements.

Not sure what 8x10 camera you are using, but make sure you have sufficient bellows draw if you pick up a lens beyond 450 mm. 600 mm is the obvious suspect and that requires a very long bellows.
    You are absolutely correct. But he has the 210mm Apo Sironar S, not the W.