Thread: Wista 45 Metal Field Camera Question

Wista 45 Metal Field Camera Question

Can anyone tell me what the rectangular piece is for on the upper right rear side of the Wista 45 metal field camera shown in the attached photo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wista.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	153283

Re: Wista 45 Metal Field Camera Question

I found a photo which refers to the piece as a plash to mount a flash gun. No I need to track down Wista flash guns. The hunt continues.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I found a photo which refers to the piece as a plash to mount a flash gun. No I need to track down Wista flash guns. The hunt continues.
    There were no Wista flash guns. Only a mount to put a flash gun on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There were no Wista flash guns. Only a mount to put a flash gun on.
    I know Bob is right. In fact, that little mount point appears to never have been documented, and later discontinued. It is a big mystery to me. I can't see it being very useful as a flash mount unless the block has an undercut to let the flash grip it lest it twist in use. Perhaps a flash like the Busch D would work with one of its mounts - you would be limited to something like a hammer-head flash.

Does the block have an undercut, something like a dove-tail?

Charles S

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I have a Wista 45D as well an I was wondering if you ever made progress with this ?
    Thx

If you look at a Mamiya Super 23 / Press / Universal, on the side opposite the handgrip, there is a rail with a 1/4" threaded socket that is similar, but different dimensions. The flash adapters have a thumbscrew to fit the socket, a C channel that fits over the rail to prevent rotation, and clips to mount a flashgun such as a Graflex-type flashgun, like the clips that are often mounted to the side of a Speed Graphic. I imagine that the Wista adapter would work similarly to this. You can see three styles of Mamiya adapters as parts 18, 19, 20 in the attached Mamiya Super system chart, which I found at https://chemicalcameras.wordpress.co...ress-super-23/ . I have no idea where you would find the Wista part. Click the attachment to expand, or visit the link for a larger version.

Name:	mamiya_super23_system_chart.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	194676

Charles S

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    If you look at a Mamiya Super 23 / Press / Universal, on the side opposite the handgrip, there is a rail with a 1/4" threaded socket that is similar, but different dimensions. The flash adapters have a thumbscrew to fit the socket, a C channel that fits over the rail to prevent rotation, and clips to mount a flashgun such as a Graflex-type flashgun, like the clips that are often mounted to the side of a Speed Graphic. I imagine that the Wista adapter would work similarly to this. You can see three styles of Mamiya adapters as parts 18, 19, 20 in the attached Mamiya Super system chart, which I found at https://chemicalcameras.wordpress.co...ress-super-23/ . I have no idea where you would find the Wista part. Click the attachment to expand, or visit the link for a larger version.

Name:	mamiya_super23_system_chart.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	194676
    Thank you

I'm very late to this thread, but can confirm the Mamiya flash brackets (specifically the Graflex mount bracket, but presumably the rest as well) fit on the "rail", though with a bit of wobble. With a bit of work, it would certainly be a useable outfit. Personally, I use it to mount a Metz 45 flash with a modified bracket, while not having to remove my tripod plate from the bottom.