Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ULF video clips - 12x20

ULF video clips - 12x20

Has this been shared before? anyway it is nice to see a 12x20 ULF photographer in action. From shooting to printing.

Definitely need a good cart with big wheels. Just look at 00:34

Re: ULF video clips - 12x20

Great video!

No computer needed!

Thx
    Tin Can

Really enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    ....Definitely need a good cart with big wheels. Just look at 00:34
    And a chainsaw and some nut-waders.

Very interesting since I am about to start printing 11x14 Platinum/Palladium prints. Largest up to now has been 8x10. Admire his brush coating technique.

Is he using an Arca-Swiss quick release plate? Have been using the 3/8" tripod screw up to now which at times is tricky to balance the camera to center the tripod screw hole.

His using a hot air dryer without breathing protection just scares the hell out of me. Someone should tell him that is anything but a safe practice to do health wise. I've spent hundreds of dollars and many hours constructing an exhaust fan hood over the counter where I coat my paper and I let it air dry. Even with my exhaust fan (made for darkrooms) and the hood will not heat dry the paper without confirming that no heavy metals are becoming airborne inside the darkroom and close to 100% exhausted to the outside.

Hello from France!

Since I know Thierry Moënne-Loccoz personnally, I can ask him about his dovetail system.

The place where the picture is taken is named "Cascade des Tufs", near Arbois, Jura, France.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbois
    "Tuf" means a mixture of limestone and kind of algae that grows in waterfalls.
    In the Jura mountain range, limestone is dominant among rocks, and several waterfalls exhibit this kind of naturally-grown material.

It looks a bit like the Kessler QR plate that Kirk Gittings has been using... http://www.kesslercrane.com/kwik-release I use a variety of dovetails and quick releases on my cine gear and they have the perfect robustness for ULF. I'm surprised that this gear hasn't made it into ULF/LF more.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Hello from France!

Since I know Thierry Moënne-Loccoz personnally, I can ask him about his dovetail system.

The place where the picture is taken is named "Cascade des Tufs", near Arbois, Jura, France.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbois
    "Tuf" means a mixture of limestone and kind of algae that grows in waterfalls.
    In the Jura mountain range, limestone is dominant among rocks, and several waterfalls exhibit this kind of naturally-grown material.
    wow.thank you for letting us know who this photographer is. I was wondering could he be a member of this forum. The place is beautiful, definitely worth the hike in.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    It looks a bit like the Kessler QR plate that Kirk Gittings has been using... http://www.kesslercrane.com/kwik-release I use a variety of dovetails and quick releases on my cine gear and they have the perfect robustness for ULF. I'm surprised that this gear hasn't made it into ULF/LF more.
    Thank you for that info on Kessler products. The Kwik Release Receiver and either the larger Slider or Utility plates seem like they would work excellently with my 11x14. Many years ago was in the middle of a stream and had a Rollei SL-66 with lens and prism finder slip off Rollei's proprietary quick release mount and fall into water below. Since then have always been a bit hesitant about using any quick release tripod equipment that wasn't times 2 failsafe.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Very interesting since I am about to start printing 11x14 Platinum/Palladium prints. Largest up to now has been 8x10. Admire his brush coating technique.

Is he using an Arca-Swiss quick release plate? Have been using the 3/8" tripod screw up to now which at times is tricky to balance the camera to center the tripod screw hole.

His using a hot air dryer without breathing protection just scares the hell out of me. Someone should tell him that is anything but a safe practice to do health wise. I've spent hundreds of dollars and many hours constructing an exhaust fan hood over the counter where I coat my paper and I let it air dry. Even with my exhaust fan (made for darkrooms) and the hood will not heat dry the paper without confirming that no heavy metals are becoming airborne inside the darkroom and close to 100% exhausted to the outside.
    Agreed. He should be using an exhaust fan. I think using a hairdryer on "fan" setting and not heat is fine IMHO if you have good ventilation system.