Thread: Graphex Shutter issues

Graphex Shutter issues

I have a graphex optar 127mm lens, which I have not used for several years. I recently tried the camera. Shutter release on the camera does not appear to put enough pressure on the shutter release to fire. I have to press manually somewhat hard to release the shutter. Also it appears the shutter is firing at one speed(high) regardless of speed setting. Is this lens salvageable? Is there anything I can do clean the shutter or lubricate? The lens and shutter blades are clean devoid of fungus or oil.One site quotes a price of $100.00. Is it worth it?
    Thanks for your help. By the way the camera is Graflex Crown Graphic in great shape.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Graphex Shutter issues

1. I wouldn't use a body release, only cable or solenoid.
    2. Yes, if the shutter is just gooey then it is perfectly salvageable
    3. If you have to ask, then there is probably nothing you should do on your own to attempt a home repair.
    4. $100 isn't a bad price and it will be worth it if you want to use the camera. Less expensive repairs may be found if you search around.

Great lens. One of the wide angle bargains of the century. Not a legend, too many around for that to happen, but it gives great photos if you don't expect to need to much movement in the camera. You run out of image circle pretty quick.

Leaf shutters tend to slow down and then gum up if they do not get a bit of occasional exercise. A good clean up will take care of the problem but it may return if you let the lens lie around unused again.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Years ago there was a common way to clean those shutters and lubricate them...

If you don't feel confident and comfortable doing it, don't!

You have to take off the lens cells, both front and back. And you should do this outdoors!
    Squirt common lighter fluid into the shutter. A good soaking for bad shutters. Cock and fire the shutter on every speed while still dripping. You' hear it come up to speed if it's not mechanically challenged.
    It will take days to dry out completely. Much longer than you might think. Obviously, leave the cells off until it's completely dry! If the shutter works well now, reassemble and use it. If not, re-soak it and it may need some lubrication. I've had a couple really gummy shutters that I had to soak in a container of lighter fluid for days until things loosened up.

As for the lubrication? Back when we used fine powdered graphite. You can find it in "squirt" bottles that will puff the graphite where you want it. Doesn't really matter how much you puff in. Flex the shutter many times, then blow out any excess. Reassemble and use.

Back when I CLA'd many old shutters, I mixed the graphite right into the lighter fluid. It worked very well at getting the graphite into all the tiny places and leaving it there. Only problem was that you might wind up with a graphite speck on the glass after some use. No problem to take the cells off and wipe clean.

For those purists out there... This is how it was done and works very well. But knowing how helps a bit. A search at graflex.org forum for cleaning shutters will supply all this information.

Good luck with it. And first just try giving the shutter a good workout. Very often that's all they need...

Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    .. For those purists out there... This is how it was done and works very well. But knowing how helps a bit. A search at graflex.org forum for cleaning shutters will supply all this information....
    This is a public service announcement. This technique may have worked (I'd never question RichSBV's word), but it never was adopted in any factory repair manuals that I've ever seen. I've never heard of a professional repair shop using this technique either... but I haven't polled too many repair shops. There may be a reason.

Thank you all, esp. Rich. I am going to take your advice and tackle this project. I am a machinist and a woodworker. I feel I should ab able to handle this.

Good luck; let us know how you succeed! Before starting you might want to download the Graphex shutter repair manual from Rich's fine site and read before turning any screws.