Thread: Fotoman 45SPS mini-review

Fotoman 45SPS mini-review

So I've had my Fotoman 45SPS with a 125mm cone for a couple of months and have a sense for it's strengths and weaknesses. It's a specialized camera when compared to a more flexible 4x5 field view camera. The best way to describe the Fotoman 45SPS is to say that it is like a typical 120 camera in 6x12 format but uses 4x5 film. So here is a list of Pros and Cons:

Pros:
    Easy to set-up
    Easy to focus 6m to infinity using DOF scale
    No need for dark cloth
    Viewfinder pretty accurate from middle distance (6m/15ft)
    Has shift function - moderately easy to use - slides and holds with screws
    Well built
    Less conspicuous than a view camera
    Allows use of 120 backs - so you can have 6x12 format
    Allows use of standard 4x5 film holders
    Ground glass can be easily accessed with a flip up panel but can get in way when focusing under black cloth.

Con:
    No movements except shift (which is most important one IMHO)
    Shift requires use of ground glass, negating some convenience of DOF focusing
    Viewfinder not accurate for closeups or shifting
    Standard ground glass is a joke - needs to be replaced preferably with a fresnel
    Bulky (cube shape since it can't be folded)
    One focal length unless you get another cone which adds to bulk
    Somewhat hard to calibrate lens with cone - suggest when you order, send your lens to Fotoman so they can mount it, or buy a pre-mounted lens version

125mm is a good focal length, wide enough (40mm equivalent) and not with an extremely long cone. Anything more makes the cone too big, anything less (e.g. 90mm) is too wide for my tastes. I use a Fujinon 125mm/5.6 of which there are at least three versions - don't get the largest and latest version since it will make the cone front heavy. F5.6 aperture gives plenty of light for focusing on a replaced ground glass, not sure I would want f8 on a dim day and a wider lens.

A Travelwide might be a cheaper option if you like 90mm without shift: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...wide-45-camera There are bound to be lots of second hand ones floating around in a few months.

So in summary, if you want a simple to use DOF focused 4x5 definitely consider the Fotoman 45SPS but recognize that it has significant limitations when compared to a view camera which can be had for cheaper.

Re: Fotoman 45SPS mini-review

Surely someone could make a folding version. After all, there were many roll film "folders" made from the 1920s to '50s.

Or maybe they did and it was called a Crown Graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Surely someone could make a folding version. After all, there were many roll film "folders" made from the 1920s to '50s.

Or maybe they did and it was called a Crown Graphic.
    Ha! You are right!

I had an older 45ps with no shift at all and a friend of mine complained that it did not have a swivel back. DUH just turn the camera.... i think our mindset in our smartphone society is they want it all in a small 3 oz package... one camera that has movements, perfect back and the kitchen sink.... seriously i really liked my 45ps ... i will miss it... it took the best pictures with not much "fiddling" So many times we are camera centered when we really need to think what the finished print will be like.... remember those days when you were proud of the picture and wanted to show everybody.... it seems to me that many people are proud about what kind of camera is around your neck and want to show everybody the latest "doodad" ...ooh i am including myself.

Forgot to mention that one more advantage of a cone based 4x5 is that it is less affected by wind than a regular 4x5 with bellows.

I have a 65mm version. I'm surprised at the quality of the images. Very little distortion, huge hyperfocus and plenty of cropability (if I can make up a word).

Thanks for the review. Any chance you could post a photo? I'd love to see one to get a sense of the size of it with a 125mm lens.

Also-if you mount it on a tripod, does that interfere with using lens fall (downward shift)?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    Thanks for the review. Any chance you could post a photo? I'd love to see one to get a sense of the size of it with a 125mm lens.

Also-if you mount it on a tripod, does that interfere with using lens fall (downward shift)?
    Lens fall is basically impossible due to the interference with camera plate / tripod. I use a very skinny arca swiss plate which allows the cone to fall but the tripod head gets in the way. I'm sure there would be some way to make it work - some sort of plate the centers the tripod back away from the camera - but it's not important to me. Pretty much when I use movements on this camera it will be rise. Even then the rise is a bit of a pain because of the need to GG focus rather than DOF zone focusing which is a core strength of this kind of camera. Pictures in next post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	102131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	102130

I would stay away from some of the larger lenses - makes the cone front heavy. Optimal focal length for cropability is probably between 90-125mm. I like the 125mm focal length - doesn't give as much a "wide angle" feel.

Angus, would be possible to post a couple of images from the tripod grip piece at the bottom of the camera? I just bought the last 45SPS body that Fotoman had in stock, but it is missing the tripod grip piece. I'm trying to figure out how to get a replacement part but cannot find anywhere a photo of this part. Many thanks!