Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions Regarding Nikkor-W and CM Fujinon-w Lenses for 4x5

Jeffery Dale Welker

Questions Regarding Nikkor-W and CM Fujinon-w Lenses for 4x5

I'm slowly getting back into large format after a very long hiatus. I was able to reacquire my old Wista 45SP from the gentleman that bought if from me many years ago. I'm taking baby steps in the beginning and will be purchasing a single lens to start. I always enjoyed the 210mm focal length and would love to have a mint copy of the Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 210mm f/5.6 lens. However, my budget will not allow that acquisition. Accordingly, I'm currently trying to make a decision between the more affordable Nikkor-W 210/5.6 and the CW Fujinon-W 210/5.6. Not familiar with either lens. While I've found some information on the internet, I'm still uncertain as to what the differences may be. Used versions of these two lenses appear readily available and are similarly priced. I'm just looking for additional information that can help me make a well informed decision. Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff D Welker

Re: Questions Regarding Nikkor-W and CM Fujinon-w Lenses for 4x5

Jeff,

I own Nikkor-W and Fujinon-W lenses in various focal lengths. IMHO both are excellent. I believe by the time you stop down to a working aperture there would be little to no difference between those and an Apo Sinar.

Terry

Tim Sandstrom

I have a 210mm fujinon-w with the lettering on the outside, which gives less coverage than the one with
    the lettering on the inside, around the glass. It's very sharp lens and contrasty lens, example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	153095

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Jeff,

I own Nikkor-W and Fujinon-W lenses in various focal lengths. IMHO both are excellent. I believe by the time you stop down to a working aperture there would be little to no difference between those and an Apo Sinar.

Terry
    Thanks Terry. Your suggestion that most modern LF lenses perform very similarly and well and working f/stops rings true.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    I have a 210mm fujinon-w with the lettering on the outside, which gives less coverage than the one with
    the lettering on the inside, around the glass. It's very sharp lens and contrasty lens, example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	153095

Tim I appreciate your comments. As a side note, I've been following you on Flickr for a while. Your work is most inspiring.

Dave Karp

The 210mm Fujinon W with outside lettering is the version before the CM-W. I have a 125mm and 150mm from that series and feel that they are both excellent. You can often find this version for sale in a later model Copal shutter for extremely reasonable prices. That and the Caltar II-N (made by Rodenstock) usually seem to be the best bargains in this focal length.

Jeff, for 4x5 the "S" lens is a waste of money. I would personally look for one of the Caltar lenses-any of which will cover 4x5.

Good Luck,

L

Jeff, the Fuji 210-W with inside lettering is a great lens, and it has the advantage over the Nikkor in that it will cover 8x10.
    Even if you don't ever shoot 8x10, you'll never run out of coverage, and 4x5/5x7 is really the sweet spot of this lens.
    An example using a Wista RF on a tripod with the Fuji 210-W:
    Attachment 153096

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    The 210mm Fujinon W with outside lettering is the version before the CM-W. I have a 125mm and 150mm from that series and feel that they are both excellent. You can often find this version for sale in a later model Copal shutter for extremely reasonable prices. That and the Caltar II-N (made by Rodenstock) usually seem to be the best bargains in this focal length.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Jeff, for 4x5 the "S" lens is a waste of money. I would personally look for one of the Caltar lenses-any of which will cover 4x5.

Good Luck,

L
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Jeff, the Fuji 210-W with inside lettering is a great lens, and it has the advantage over the Nikkor in that it will cover 8x10.
    Even if you don't ever shoot 8x10, you'll never run out of coverage, and 4x5/5x7 is really the sweet spot of this lens.
    An example using a Wista RF on a tripod with the Fuji 210-W:
    Attachment 153096
    Thank you David, Luis, and Ari. Helpful comments of sure. A friend contacted me this morning and offered his Fuji 210 CM-W at a "give away" price that is hard to pass-by. Besides age, what are the differences between the older W lens with the inside lettering and the CM-W with the lettering on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    ... A friend contacted me this morning and offered his Fuji 210 CM-W at a "give away" price that is hard to pass-by. Besides age, what are the differences between the older W lens with the inside lettering and the CM-W with the lettering on the outside?
    Older Fujinon lenses (designated "W") with the lettering inside the filter ring (around the front element) are single-coated. Newer lenses with the lettering on the outside of the lens barrel have Fuji's EBC coating. They are NW or CM-W Here's the spec info I have on the three 201s. Note that the filter size and coverage are different from older to newer models.

I've tried to format the table a bit so it's understandable.

Series--FL----Apert.---El---Grps.-°Cvg.--IC---Shutter--Filter--Coating
    CM-W--210-----5.6------6----5-----72----309----C1----67mm----EBC----Marked on lens barrel.
    NW----210----5.6-64----6----5-----71----300-----C1----67mm----EBC----Marked on lens barrel.
    W------210----5.6-64---6----4-----80----352-----C1----58mm----SINGLE-Marked inside filter ring.

As for quality. I also have both Nikkor and Fujinon lenses. For similar design lenses, quality should be indistinguishable. Fuji does have some offerings that are unique. I love my Fuji A series lenses. I have 240mm and 180mm. The 180mm may be a good alternative for your 210mm if you're looking for a smaller and lighter lens. Personally, I find the 210mm f/5.6 Plasmats to bulky for my taste. I own an Ektar 203mm (very small and light) and the Fuji 180mm in this group. I also have a Fujinon 210mm L series (Tessar design) that I use in Europe. It's also good and a bit smaller than the f/5.6 plasmats.

If bigger and faster is what you're after, go for any of the modern f/5.6 Plasmats. Nikkor, Fuji, Schneider, Rodenstock and Caltar (rebadged Rodenstock/Schneider lenses) are all super. If you get a good price on that Fuji CM-W, you can't go wrong.

Best,

Doremus