Thread: Beseler 4x5 enlarger info request

Beseler 4x5 enlarger info request

I have just obtained a Beseler 4x5 condenser enlarger and am cleaning it up after 30 years in a basement. I contacted Beseler and they couldn't identify it! It has a non-motorized chassis, and a narrow stance upright like a 23C. There are no nameplates but "Beseler" in script is embossed in the lamphouse. It has a filter drawer between the condensers. The condensers are 6 1/2" diam and it has a 4x5 negative carrier. It is finished in a black crinkle paint. At the top of the uprights is a large X brace, about 12" in height, made of the same gauge sheet metal as the uprights and professionally made.
    My question--Could this be some type of prototype, or do I have a well done hybrid?

Re: Beseler 4x5 enlarger info request

A picture would help, but this sounds like my first Beseler which was a 45 H , IIRC. It looked like a 4x5 on a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 chassis.
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 14-Jul-2016 at 07:22. Reason: spellng

There were a couple that fit your description: 45H and 45AF.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    There were a couple that fit your description: 45H and 45AF.
    I found a owners manual on a Canadian Site, KHB, and a 45H is precisely what I have. Thanks for the quick replies. It came with a Echo E 135mm lens. I'll test it, but I expect to replace it. First I have to finish the drywall for the darkroom, and Get new paper and chemicals. The heat absorbing glass is missing and the nylon elevating gears are buggered-new parts coming from Freestyle.
    Thanks for the good help!

Does anybody know when these were made ?

Someone sent me a private message about the 45H. I can't find it now. Where do private messages go? email? I responded to it I thought. If that person would re-contact, I'll answer. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HartleyFalbaum View Post
    Someone sent me a private message about the 45H. I can't find it now. Where do private messages go? email? I responded to it I thought. If that person would re-contact, I'll answer. Thanks
    That was me; no response was received, so I just sent it again. PMs go to your PM Inbox, which can be accessed by clicking on "Notifications" at the top of each page, then "Inbox."

Old School Wayne

Sal wants your enlarger. Its a very rare one

I have a 45H and have been getting it ready to use. Just cleaned the glass today. I made an unboxing video that is on my YouTube channel, studiocarter1. A set of filters had to be bought as the size it takes is different than those for the 23c.
    When was the 45H made? Mid 1940s?

I have finished the refurb of the 45H, total disassembly, replace missing and wrong screws, replace power cord, clean and lube, new gears and heat absorbing glass. I have finished the darkroom--operational by midweek. Reviewed the owners manual--mentions 1958-Beseler enlargers. So--I guess the manual, and enlarger are later than 1958. I also have replaced the D4 Chromega "Frankenstein Head" lamp house with a Aristo W54 unit---So---will do a bit of comparison printing next week. The Beseler manual says a 211 bulb is standard. It is rated for a 212 as well--we'll see which is better.