Thread: How to begin? How about trade - Leica CL for..

How to begin? How about trade - Leica CL for..

Hello all :-)

I want to begin an affair with LF photography. I was using a Magnola 13x18 - old Linhof copy, too bulky for almost any outdoor work, 13x18 film is rare. So I decided to make an offer - I will exchange my Leica CL with Summicron 2/40 or Rollei QZ 35T for a 4x5 drop bed camera.
    First of all - I am looking for something well built and portable. I think Hen-Shao or Tahichara will be a good choice. I don't need a lens for now - I have a old, fairly sharp (when closed down) 135mm Dagor in Compound, I have old ApoTessar, some strange lenses..
    I was thinking about selling CL and/or Rollei on eBay, but I think direct exchange will be a best option for me - you all know a lot about LF and maybe some of you have an older, unused 4x5 and always wanted some male jewelry.. :-)

If someone have an offer or just a suggestion about what I should look for - please contact me off list. And please forgive me if I break a 'no classified' rule by posting this question here - I mainly wanted an suggestion where to put this offer and what camera I should look for - as I don't really know how much my cameras are worth for exchange.

Have a f16 day

If your Magnola takes cut film, as opposed to glass plates, then a 5X7 holder should fit as well. That would improve the film selection available. I am not familiar with the camera, is it a clamshell design or a monorail?

As for the trade, I don't know many LF shooters that would want a 35mm film camera now-a-days. The only time I take mine out of the cupboard is to attach a 300mm lens to it for wildlife shots. Good luck to you anyways.

Ed

Octogenarian

Hi Stanislaw,

Try placing this offer on the www.photo.net classified ad section. You will probably be able to get better results there.

> If your Magnola takes cut film, as opposed to glass plates,

> then a 5X7 holder should fit as well.

Yes, it does, but it doesn't take standard film holders.

> I am not familiar with the camera, is it a clamshell design or a monorail?

Clamshell. Very heavy, made of metal, with very limited movements.

This is also a main reason why I am looking for woodem, lightweight 4x5 -

I can carry five pounds in backpack. I can't carry eighteen - especially because

I have a severely injured knee and will have similar problems with it in future

> As for the trade, I don't know many LF shooters that would want a 35mm film camera

> now-a-days. The only time I take mine out of the cupboard is to attach a 300mm lens

> to it for wildlife shots.

I use mainly an Rolleiflex Old Standard nowadays. This camera has a really nice Tessar with strong personality :-) So, with Leica lying in cabinet, I woke up one day and KNEW I have to sell/trade it (because of financial (ahem) deficiences this is the only way for me) for a 4x5. This is irresistible

> Good luck to you anyways.

Thanks a lot!

I'd suggest putting a "want to trade" ad in several places, the photo.net classifieds under both large format and 35mm, in rec.photo.marketplace. large-format and 35mm, and in APUG (the latter is a confusing site, I wasn't able to figure out how to place an ad there myself but it's a group devoted to film so if you can figure out the web site there should be some candidates for your trade).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.