Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loupe Magnification

Re: Loupe Magnification

I started with a 9x Agfa because that is all I had. Now I have a 6x Silvestri, which I can hang around my neck.One or the other it doesn't matter much to me, but the string on the Silvestri is sure nicer than walking around with an Agfa in my pocket.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I started with a 9x Agfa because that is all I had. Now I have a 6x Silvestri, which I can hang around my neck.One or the other it doesn't matter much to me, but the string on the Silvestri is sure nicer than walking around with an Agfa in my pocket.
    8x Agfa, not 9x.

Years ago, at Fred Picker's suggestion I had a pair of 5x reading glasses made my my optometrist. I still use those, and I also have an 8x Toyo loupe as a back up. I also have 4x, 6x, 8x Schneider and Rodenstock loupes which I used mostly on negatives. Too high a magnification on the ground glass and all you see is the grind of the glass. I suspect that 6-8x is probably optimal, but I would not give up my 5x glasses. L

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    "Are you happy to see me, or is that an Agfa in your pocket."

I use a magnifying visor like a jewler would wear. It keeps both hands free and I have a choice of 3 different magnifications. This also makes it very easy to check the corners which is a problem with a round loupe.

Well,there you are, people. A consensus has been reached.

If you don't want to pay 'photographic' prices, there is a large range on Farnell's. We use a (rather expensive for what it is) head mounted binocular magnifier at work ("Who's got the googly eyes?") which I think I might borrow one weekend. - http://uk.farnell.com/edsyn/ma10/mag...lens/dp/353760

Though this one - http://uk.farnell.com/lightcraft/lc1...mag/dp/2442795 - looks similar in many ways, and is a lot cheaper (and obviously doesn't need the batteries and light for our purposes.)

Neil