Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer water is warmer! What temp is yours now?

Re: Summer water is warmer! What temp is yours now?

Central Jokelahoma, tap water here is 77º/26.5º. The distilled water I keep on the kitchen counter for mixing working fix and developer is the same, except between 2 PM and 7 PM, when peak electrical pricing kicks in and my air conditioner shuts off to conserve energy — then in gets much warmer.

I'm going through a lot of ice making tempering baths. Only tempering the developer; with semi-stand I'm not too concerned about the other chemicals.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

UK, just north of London - 60F as measured on my imperial thermometer last weekend. Add a touch from the hot tap to get it to 68 or 72.

Neil

p.s. It's supposed to be summer.

Mid-winter in this half of the planet. Tap water runs at 18 Celsius.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Right now, out of the tap at 75 F in the evening, it will get North of 80F soon. I'll crank up the chiller when I develop/print and use the 75F side as the hot side to warm the chiller feed to 68 F. That way the chilled side will last longer than if I used the hot water tap. The K-250 Intellifaucet will make sure it doesn't vary more than .2 degrees. Using around 1/2 gal/min of 68 F water for my processes, my 32 GPH chiller has never run out. L

Small correction on my temp. At 6:30pm with the sun out all day, the cold water tap steadied at 72.5F -- still a reasonable temperature. During the winter in the kitchen, I got pretty good at filling a 2 liter graduate with the right amount of hot , then cold water (in the 50s) to get to my operating temp. I wash with standing water, so I'll have several 8x10 trays laying around with a negative or a couple prints in each that I am changing the water of...I aim to be within 4 degrees or so with my wash water temp. It will be nice to get the darkroom set-up and have regulated water!.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I will use degree as i am not good at F, and nowadays we have tap water nearly 40-50 C degree, if i keep it open for few minutes then the temp is going lower at around 30-35C at day time, at night it may go down to 24-28C.

Desert southwest - normal cold water temperature in my house is about 95 degrees. It's compounded by the fact that the water supply is routed around the house in the attic which is probably over 140 degrees up there. When I'm developing film, I need to cool the water down with bags of ice (even in winter).

May want to insulate the line in the attic, it's gotta help some once the hot flows out! I know I insulated all the lines in my darkroom, both the chilled line, cold and hot. L

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    [...] the fact that the water supply is routed around the house in the attic
    An attic water supply route? Never heard of such a thing. How does that come to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    An attic water supply route? Never heard of such a thing. How does that come to be?
    Because if you have a slab on grade house and you have to re-plumb, the attic (or the soffit) is the most assessable place most of the time. L