Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid 8x10 film holders more expensive than lenses?

Polaroid 8x10 film holders more expensive than lenses?

Hey guys,

I’m assembling my first set of 8x10 tools and I couldn’t help but notice that 8x10 polaroid film holders are often more expensive than many nice large format lenses on eBay.

Is it just eBay madness or are those film holders actually so rare that they go for many hundreds of dollars?

If it’ll be easier secure common film holders for actual film or exposing directly on photographic paper, I’m not opposed to using those instead. I’d hoped to do 8x10 Impossible polaroids because the factory is in my town so I’d have an easy source.

So any tips on acquiring affordable 8x10 polaroid film holders or non polaroid film holders are welcome. I’m somewhat disinclined to spend hundreds of dollars on a holder if I could have spend it on a lens.

Re: Polaroid 8x10 film holders more expensive than lenses?

Nope they're crazy expensive, just wait until you look for the machine to process the film as in the Machine that you have to place the holders into in order to have them roll through and spread the developer inside of the sheet for development.

This stupid expensive for no logical reason except that there aren't enough of them out there and it's all the rage right now.

Regular 8 x 10 holders should be purchasable for $50-$100. I personally buy new ones from Chamonix because I value their build quality and prefer wood to plastic, but the fidelity plastic ones can be had for $50 or so used.

The Polaroid ones will cost you much much much more.

Good luck. If you find more than one cheap one please let me know because I'm also interested but can't afford the crazy prices of the machine/holders.

they used to be super cheap until umpossible announced they were coming out with 8x10 P film again - then everyone (including me at one point) started scrambling to get a set up to shoot the marginally working, 20 bucks a shot film

*shrug*

old 8x10 P film WAS like heroin though.. you'd sell your house and car just to shoot more

it was THAT fun

Originally the Polaroid system was the almost exclusive zone of the professional photographer, it was used among other things to confirm exposure before shooting film. They were very expensive originally and very few were made. When the Polaroid film was discontinued the whole system, holders and machines, became obsolete and many were thrown away. When Impossible revived 8x10 it was adopted by amateurs, so now you have millions of photographers chasing thousands of Polaroid machines and prices have jumped back up. The original Polaroid color system was wonderful, I was glad to sell my Polaroid hardware for more than it cost me :-) Eventually someone will start making holders and machines once more.
    Last edited by Ted R; 22-Jun-2016 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    old 8x10 P film WAS like heroin though.. you'd sell your house and car just to shoot more
    @150$ per shot for expired stuff, people are doing just that.
    I shot an entire case of 809 film the other day, if only i had the cash in my pocket instead for the worth of each sheet....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    Eventually someone will start making holders and machines once more.
    Someone already is.

Do tell.....?
    Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Someone already is.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Whoever holds the patent on the manual processor could make some decent coin by restarting production of their units. I found one locally for a fair price and even then, it still hurt. However, it's nothing like the price they're selling for now. I've also stopped looking for extra 81-06 holders as those are the ones people really want although the 81-05 will work , they just need a bit more finessing loading the receiver sheet.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Whoever holds the patent on the manual processor could make some decent coin by restarting production of their units. I found one locally for a fair price and even then, it still hurt. However, it's nothing like the price they're selling for now. I've also stopped looking for extra 81-06 holders as those are the ones people really want although the 81-05 will work , they just need a bit more finessing loading the receiver sheet.
    81-05 holders are not compatible with the calumet field processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Whoever holds the patent on the manual processor could make some decent coin by restarting production of their units.
    They are readily available...