Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Off to the Redwoods...

Re: Off to the Redwoods...

Heading back up to Ashland via hwy 96 to pick up one son in a few minutes. Taking another son to give him mountain driving experience. Wish me luck and godspeed!

Might return via Folks of Salmon -- but if I do, I'll be driving!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Heck, when my dad wanted me to learn to drive he just turned me loose in the pasture with the ole GMC truck. What could go wrong out there? Then he kinda
    changed his mind after spending the afternoon winching the truck out of the creek!

2 Bit Hack

Umm, flipped a GMC on its side in the middle of the dirt road. Got away with that. "The cab is lopsided cause it got hit by a bail of hay, honest!". Flipped a Ford tractor. Well my fiend was driving. Didn't get away with that one.

Good luck with that one Vaughn. :wink:
    Regards

Marty

There are a number of places where you can see some beautiful old growth Redwood heart wood ... but my favorite is the Redwood Room ... an Art Deco bar in San Francisco's Clift Hotel on Geary street two blocks up from Union Square.

The walls, ceiling and columns were made from a single old growth redwood ... used to be a great martini bar ... until the owner of Studio 54 bought the Clift and yuppified it some. Still often makes the list of "Greatest Bars in The World."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Definitely! If the road was not paved, it would just be another Forest Service road that I have spent much time on. The pavement made it fun!

And driving a 2002 Toyota Avalon, Touring model (my parents car I inherited) is probably cheating, too. What a sweet driving car. Stiffer suspension to feel the road...and working air conditioning to keep my feet cool as I drove with window and sunroof open.

Not as 'cool' as driving my 2002 Eurovan Weekender campervan (and I do miss the extra sitting height and the resulting view), but my mileage in the Avalon is 50% better than the van.

Best regards,

Bob
    CEO CFO EIEIO, Ret.
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

I have returned! He did fine. He was starting his turns a little late, but smoothed the turns out eventually. Also the longest continous driving he has done -- the first 180 miles were mountain highways (299/96) and the last 30 miles were Hwy 5. He got some experience waiting for construction activity. His arms and shoulders were sore -- a little tense, perhaps. Quite nice to be able to watch the scenery for a change.

We picked my other son in Talent, OR and stopped off in Ashland on the way back for pizza. Ashland is sort of the Arcata of Oregon...only a lot more money and a lots less visible homeless. Interesting walking around with my sons -- I am sure those young ladies were not checking me out! Nice drive again back via Forks of Salmon, but hurried it a little as 12 hours on the road is enough (arrived home at 8:10pm).

Bummer though -- gave a lift to a PCT hiker from Etna to the PCT. He put his pack in the trunk and took his stuff out at the trail (it crosses the road at the pass). We looked around some, then took off. The fellow left his hiking poles in my trunk. So I need to figure out how to get them to him -- can't remember his name, but he is a fellow trail maintenance dude. At least I know where he is heading! I'll check the maps and see where the next re-stocking place is on the PCT.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China