Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off to the Redwoods...

Drew Wiley

Re: Off to the Redwoods...

It will be a drippy weekend, if not outright raining. Even down here in the Bay it is virtually raining from heavy fog. Yesterday it never got up to the mid-50's, and it will probably be a bit lower temp the rest of the week. I wanted a knee workout Saturday so went up a steep section of Mt Tam, which can be wonderful this time of year in terms of soupy soft fog-lit forest. The trail is a bit popular, though never crowded like down the opposite side in Muir Woods. I had my gear propped up about 15 yards off the trail. Several "hey doood" type twenty-somethings stopped on the trail to catch their breath. One of them shouts over, "Totally awesome
    camera!; is that an 8x10?"... "Yep". We ain't in Kansas.

I had a great trip. Yes, rain all day on our full day on the creek. We had sun going in and a nice evening, but clouds were coming in so we set the tents up. Rain started at dawn, heavy at times, but mostly a light drizzle that hardly got you wet. Actually close to perfect weather! My son had just spent a year in Bolivia -- at 1000 elevation above the Amazon. He appreciated to coolness! Under the redwoods was fine -- some big drips (besides myself) and there are always dry spots where the rain could not get too.

Took 6 holders, exposed 6 sheets of film for 4 images. Took a bit of a fall on my right knee climbing up a 30 foot gravel bank -- bruised it pretty good...some swelling, but it is still strong structually. I'll ice it up today. I have a Jobo 3006 Expert Drum on its way to me, and I'll get bust processing 4x5!

Photo: Tending the fire, Redwood Creek, July 2016 (not LF).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RedCr2016.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Hope that knee heals well. I took a couple of good skids last summer on wet rock in the high country and bruised my elbow, but that was due to detouring around
    some cliffs that would have entailed the risk of a fatal skid. Guess we're not getting any younger. I have the typical aging/reading-glasses problem of not judging close distances well, so walking poles are always handy for gauging precise step distance when necessary, just like an ice axe is for probing snow bridges. Those
    older redwoods can be magical in the rain, just like big umbrellas.

Tim Sandstrom

looks like a great trip, plenty of time to walkabout, imbibe the beauty, thanks for sharing

Oh, man .... that looks like home!

I need to get my aging body into shape and back up to The Avenue of the Giants, Richardson's Grove, Patrick's Point, Prairie Creek, Fern Canyon, Howland Road, the Lagoons, Redwood Creek, The Lost Coast, Humboldt State Park, the Jetty ...... it's a long list and I've left a lot out!!

And I've always wanted to photograph the Kinetic Sculpture race on Memorial Day weekend ... a true event ... tried to make it again this year ... but life has a habit of getting in the way.

One of the best and least traveled large format areas!

If any forum members can make it up there you can't find a better host/guide than Vaughn ... and he's quite knowledgeable about the local craft brews.

Look forward to seeing your photos and hope to make it up in mid-October.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Jim, June and I are hoping to make a trip to the Redwoods in October as well. We will be heading to So Cal for our meet and greet in November. It would be good to see you and Vaughn again as well.

I'll keep October open! It is a fine time to be in the redwoods.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

2 Bit Hack

Reminds me of the Buffalo River back home. Solace for the soul. I sure could use some of that.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Jim, June and I are hoping to make a trip to the Redwoods in October as well. We will be heading to So Cal for our meet and greet in November. It would be good to see you and Vaughn again as well.
    PM me and post your plans when they get sorted out ... maybe we can coax a few other photographic reprobates up there (or, down there for you now, I guess.)

It truly is a magical area.

I missed my chance a few weeks ago to meet Vaughn, and would love to have another chance =)
    Plus get to be with you Jim and Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    PM me and post your plans when they get sorted out ... maybe we can coax a few other photographic reprobates up there (or, down there for you now, I guess.)

It truly is a magical area.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail