Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on moderation

`

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    ... It is often risky, however, to assume that just because someone makes their living at photography (a "pro") that they are a good source of knowledge on technical issues. There are numerous renowned photographers who don't understand the basic technical issues of photography, but are/were very successful, nonetheless. Some have even stated that they chose not to bother with the technical stuff. Some have even written books on photography, but are actually incorrect on some of the basics. And, it is also true that some "pros" don't "play well with others," and don't fit well within a forum community. Thus, experienced amateurs, even if they are currently less active than they once were, are sometimes the better sources to listen to. Everyone has to make that decision on their own within a forum context.

There is both science and art to all of this, and sometimes an individual's art is able to overcome their science.
    Very nicely stated Ralph!
    --
    Yes, to be a successful Professional Photographer has always been:

... One Part 'Science/Technical'... One Part 'Art'... And One Part 'Business'.
    (*It also of course does not hurt, to have a 'Large Dose' of timing and luck -- On Your Side!)

It is rare indeed to find an individual; who is 'Equally adept'... At all three (3) of these divergent, Job Skill sets.
    --
    Then of course, if we were to ever consider adding Educator/Instructor to this 'Oddball mix'...
    The odds become 'Much, much longer'.

Re: Feedback on moderation

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You aren't one of the 20-30 people in referring to.
    Hi Stone, I knew I wouldn't be - I barely post here. It's unfortunate that 20 or 30 people bug you a bit (hope I've not misread your meaning), but that's why there's an ignore button?

I just didn't understand your using the word "fakers", but that's ok. Your post led me indirectly to order a copy of Oblomov to re-read, it's been a long time since I first read that book - so thanks for that!

2 Bit Hack

Hi Stone,
    I AM probably one of the 20-30 you are referring. I may not be a professional, teacher in photography, engineer in design but I do have a mind. I am able to use it. I am able to be serious but I choose not to be. There are other places for that. But does any of my supposed short comings bear on my ability to contribute to this community? In my humble opinion, absolutely not.

In my line of work I find that often the question is more important than the answer. It provides a means for intellect to be dispersed to those that need or want it. It also provides a space where differing opinions and methods can be presented and discussed so that one can gain a bit insight to an unknown. So to say that someone is not a resource to a community because they have no skill in the community brand is not correct in any form.

If those lacking knowledge were not allowed to enter this community then what would be its purpose?
    Regards

Marty

Professionals do what they do for the need or love of money; amateurs do it for love. Thus amateurs are sometimes the most proficient. Consider Thomas Edison, Franz Schubert, John M. Browning, the Wright brothers, and so many others who were among the very best in their fields.

Feedback on moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    Hi Stone,
    I AM probably one of the 20-30 you are referring. I may not be a professional, teacher in photography, engineer in design but I do have a mind. I am able to use it. I am able to be serious but I choose not to be. There are other places for that. But does any of my supposed short comings bear on my ability to contribute to this community? In my humble opinion, absolutely not.

In my line of work I find that often the question is more important than the answer. It provides a means for intellect to be dispersed to those that need or want it. It also provides a space where differing opinions and methods can be presented and discussed so that one can gain a bit insight to an unknown. So to say that someone is not a resource to a community because they have no skill in the community brand is not correct in any form.

If those lacking knowledge were not allowed to enter this community then what would be its purpose?
    pjd and Jmarmck,

You're not one of the people I'm referring to either, I mean people with little world experience who claim to be, people who tell tall tales to make themselves sound like they are an authority when they aren't. People who post incessantly about their understanding and experience that they make up. But because it's impossible to prove their aren't telling the truth, and lying isn't against the rules, they are allowed to post with very little moderator retraction, but who sully the waters with their false words.

You're not at all one of those people.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    pjd and Jmarmck,

You're not one of the people I'm referring to either, I mean people with little world experience who claim to be, people who tell tall tales to make themselves sound like they are an authority when they aren't. People who post incessantly about their understanding and experience that they make up. But because it's impossible to prove their aren't telling the truth, and lying isn't against the rules, they are allowed to post with very little moderator retraction, but who sully the waters with their false words.

You're not at all one of those people.
    Just so folks can stop guessing (and I'm guessing/hoping I'm not one of the folks to whom you are alluding... but how would you or anyone else really know!!!)... perhaps you should say that this is a hypothetical person or persons... more a characteristic of some online folks rather than specific individuals. Seriously, Stone, this can get out of control if you don't control it...

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ...this can get out of control if you don't control it...
    Very much so. I suggest using the ignore button in ones head. Perhaps this is more of Hatfield vs McCoy kind of thing and something best left to heal with time.
    Regards

Marty

The thing is the Hatfields and the McCoys had more in common than they thought. Just as Stone and Drew do.

2 Bit Hack

Yeah, the Hatfields and McCoys were hillbillies. Drew? Stone?

Sorry not helpful.
    Regards

Marty

I would prefer Stone name us 'evil-doers'. Stone please make a list and post it here.

I am sure I am on the list and proud of it.

I believe in more posts, more conversation, even a little careful banter, and as much on topic as I can provide and absorb. I fail at that often. Human, Mr Spock. Guilty.

For a while I decided to focus on DIY threads, as I am always interested in DIY!

But, I changed me mind...

I also have made at least 10 good friends on this forum whom I see IRL (in real life).

Don't forget PML (Private Message Life) and ancient historical EL (Email Life).

PAX
    Tin Can