Thread: Wrong ISO

Foamer

Wrong ISO

I got into a rush today and took a few shots using Acros 100. They should be great except for one thing. My meter was set for ISO 400! Are these probably pretty screwed up? Are they worth sending to my lab and asking for a 2-stop pull?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Wrong ISO

I made the same mistake recently. I was shooting flowers outdoors. It was early in the morning on a cloudy day where the sun only poked its head out every so often. I also exposed the Acros 100 film at 400 EI. I developed the film in Rodinal 1:100 at 20C for 90 minutes. I agitated normally for the first minute, and then again for 10seconds at the 30 minute and 60 minute mark each. The resulting negative looked quite good under the loupe. I have not had a chance to print any photos or even make a contact sheet in the darkroom. There were details in the shadow (leaves). I was pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foamer

Re: Wrong ISO

Sounds encouraging. And, I mistakenly said 2-stop pull when I meant push.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Worry not. This was one of my first LF images, and I'd forgotten to stop down, resulting in a 4-stop overexposure. I developed normally and the resulting negative was perfectly usable:

Cloud Gate by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Huub

Over exposure, even by 4 stops, is generally less a problem then under exposure. When subject contrast was high i would follow Howardpan's advice and try stand development to keep high lights in check. In a low contrast situation i would use a developer fit for push processing like Microphen or XTOL and try pushing one or two stops. But you can expect some loss of shadow detail on both situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I got into a rush today and took a few shots using Acros 100. They should be great except for one thing. My meter was set for ISO 400! Are these probably pretty screwed up? Are they worth sending to my lab and asking for a 2-stop pull?

Kent in SD
    It needs extended development which is "push processing", you my be lucky it depends on the SBR (subject brightness range).

Ian

Diafine might produce a printable negative for No.4 paper. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD
    Kent,

You've underexposed by a couple of stops. If the situation was a low-contrast one, you could eke a bit of film speed out of your negative with extended development, i.e., pushing, not pulling. However, the suggestion to use a speed-enhancing developer like Diafine is likely your best bet. You'll lose a bit of shadow detail, but, depending on the subject, you could have very printable negatives with a bit of luck.

Best,

Doremus