Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking for help on a Synchro Compur shutter

Newbie looking for help on a Synchro Compur shutter

Hi everyone. I'm new to LF cameras, my first lens has a Synchro Compur shutter, I can't figure out how to get it to go to "view" mode. The flash selector also has a V setting which seems like it might be view, but I'm not sure how to get it to go to that mode. I'm sure it's something basic, but I don't want to break the shutter mechanism.

Thanks!

If you're curious, here's the whole lens, mounted on a lens board I just whipped up.

Re: Newbie looking for help on a Synchro Compur shutter

V is the self timer mode... These require a locking cable release and use the B setting...

Steve K

Ahhhh, ok, that was my hunch! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    V is the self timer mode... These require a locking cable release and use the B setting...Steve K
    Just to clarify, the V is definitely a self timer of about 20s, but you do not need a self locking cable release and do not necessary need to use the B setting.

The V setting can be used at any shutter speed and can (also) be activated by hand tripping the lense's release lever

The X and M are for electronic flash and flash bulb settings.

The V & X can be used simultaneously as the V setting 'chooses' the X setting by default.

regards

Tony

That the shutter doesn't have a "T" speed means that it is a #00. #00s don't have a blade arrester (your "view" setting).

As has already been mentioned, use "B" with a locking cable release to focus and compose. Or buy a modern 65 mm lens in a modern shutter.

I have a cable release with a lock, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something silly when it had a view setting. I've not even tried the lens yet, and just made lens board for it, I'm not buying a new one yet! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    That the shutter doesn't have a "T" speed means that it is a #00. #00s don't have a blade arrester (your "view" setting).

As has already been mentioned, use "B" with a locking cable release to focus and compose. Or buy a modern 65 mm lens in a modern shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    That the shutter doesn't have a "T" speed means that it is a #00. #00s don't have a blade arrester (your "view" setting). As has already been mentioned, use "B" with a locking cable release to focus and compose.
    I am very confused. I've a xenar f4.7, 135mm lens which has no 'T' setting but is fitted to a #0 Syncro Compur shutter. On my unit the V is definitely for self timer (delayed action) purposes. If I choose the V setting there is a circa 20s delay before the shutter fires. I view the scene at full or other aperture by using a lever [near to the VXM lever] that opens the shutter to the appropriate aperture chosen for viewing.

Are the comments in this thread (excluding my own) peculiar to the OP's lens?

Please clarify

regards
    Tony

Tony, there's a few variations of the Synchro Compur #0 shutter. Not all have T and some have no Pre-view, my own 135mm f4.7 Xenar is in the last type Synchro Compur and does have a pre-view lever, looking at the front it's clockwise on the MXV settings.

The comments here are really about the #00 Compur, actually it's the first time I've seen there was late version, it always surprised me that they never added a preview lever my 65mm f8 SA is Linhof select with the slightly cosmetic Linhof shutter.

Ian

Thanks Ian

regards

Tony

A piece of trivia, just for the record: "V" is short for "Vorlauf" (German for "forerun"). The "B" setting, when used in German context, is short for "beliebig" (arbitrary).