Thread: Bausch and Lomb SIGMAR

Bausch and Lomb SIGMAR

I was trawling my way through lf lenses on google images I happened upon this pic of a Sigmar lens labelled Zeiss Jenna
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sigmar-portrait-lens-c1912[1].jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	151667, I suspect it is the same as the Bausch and Lomb version. Can anybody shed any light on the association? I guess it may have been manufactured by Zeiss and imported by B & L??
    I have the 19 inch B&L version, It is a big package.

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Re: Bausch and Lomb SIGMAR

Closer to the point, but still saying nothing about the Sigmar, see the 7th page of a 1901 CZ London catalog http://books.google.com/books?id=cnk...gbs_navlinks_s

This snippet accompanied the pic, and was on the WESTECH optical web site;

There were also many one off designs: most notable of these were the Graf Variable, a lens with adjustable focal length and softness, and the Sigmar, an uncorrected triplet. This lens was offered by both Bausch and Lomb and Zeiss.

They were a fast Triplet, like the F3.5 Varium, or Cookes. Triplets can go very fast, and are slightly soft.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...schlomb_6.html

Bausch and Lomb added photographic lenses to their line in 1883, and began the manufacture of shutters in 1888. In 1892 they became the only company in America licensed to make Zeiss Anastigmats and other lenses. They also made Compound and Compur shutters by agreement with Deckel. These arrangements were finally terminated in World War I.

Aside from being a triplet, the sigmars have a different machining on the piece of metal holding in the front glass if I remember correctly. My sigmar is not handy so i can't check. That ones above seems to look like the other sigmars I've seen. Lettering is certainly different.

Regarding the above book urls: CZ had an unar, then B&L had an unar, so it does appear they shared designs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bausch...e_20th_century describes a 3-way alliance of B&L, Zeiss, and Saegmuller which ended with WWI. I was thinking the sigmar was post war though.. Unless this is a very early one.

http://waywiser.rc.fas.harvard.edu/v...d-ef676a7ed80e :
    "The practical result of this closer union is that every invention or improvement made either by Zeiss or by the Bausch and Lomb Co. is at once available to the other. The free interchange of ideas and of methods is an advantage to each centre of progress — an advantage amply demonstrated in the successful advance of these initial years."

If you haven't, read Dan's link, it gives the full history.

For future references: www.zeiss.de/archive