I shoot primarily 4x5, scan, and then print on an Epson 10000, often up to 30"x40" on photo paper. I archivally mat, frame, display, and sell out of my own art gallery. A disturbing thing is progressively being noticed. Some of the images have a fog in the inside of the glass gradually appearing on the prints that have been hanging in the gallery for longer periods. The tech people at Epson, though slow in agreeing, say it is definately an outgassing problem, asking me if I let the prints sit for at least 24 hours before putting behind glass. I tell them it is more like one to two weeks before they are framed. They have nothing more to say or help out in the matter. Some have said to spray the print with a fixative.....which I tested, and notice a "blotching", especially in open blue sky areas. My guess this must be a common problem, but so far, solving and ending the outgassing problem is not so common. You would think Epson would have totally researched this, offered it to its customers. Some retailers have also said the 9600 Ultrachrome printer faces the same problem. I literally have dreams at night of all these prints hanging on customer's walls, fogging up on the inside, the customer then returning it to me in a rage.....then there are all those images hanging thousands of miles away than cannot be returned.......a terrible, growing dream.
Thanks,
Gary