Thread: omega D5500

fabricemalzieu

omega D5500

Hey there experts!
    I have recently set up the Omega D5500 that I had not used for nearly twenty years. Although it was quite easy to get back to work with it at the beginning, the major height adjustment system has become very difficult and finally collapsed. I have dismounted the back of the chassis column to check out what was going on. Now I am stuck with a piece of gum disintegrated in my hands, the clutch of the rolling handles disengaged . If I have to, I can forget about using the rolling handles and can manipulate the head by pushing it up and down as the lock is OK. I now need help and instructions to eventually get spare parts and remount the old thing: especially, can I release the strong. Thank you for good advice and eventually offer for deal...
    See attached snaps...
    All best
    Fabrice Malzieu, Paris France
    http://www.fabricemalzieu.com

fabricemalzieu

Re: omega D5500

Sorry I mean "can I release the stretch of the metallic tapes to remount easily?"

Jim Sidinger

Fabrice,
    Do not know if you have already solved your problem. Just noticed your post and, since I saw no answer from others, wanted to provide some information which might help if you have not.

I have a ProLab II which is based on the D5500 and which developed the same problem. Doing some research, I found that KHB Photografix (in Canada) has found a fix for this problem. See:
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/...00advisory.htm

Their contact information is on their home page:
    www.khbphotografix.com/

I don't know if it would be economically feasible for you to use this, but those folks are very helpful and might be able to assist you even if you don't buy from them. Have found this out from firsthand experience.

Regards & Best of Luck, Jim

The repair isn't hard IF you're careful. I did this once and don't want to do it again. With that it should be a permanent fix.
    You need to be very careful with the spring, the edges are sharp and if it's accidentally loosened there can be blood.

KHB has the parts and I believe instructions.

Jim Sidinger

NOW you tell us!

P.S. Great set of pictures. However, once I saw what was involved and KHB told me that there would be no harm in not repairing it, I decided not to get the fix. Have been happily manually moving the head for some 3 years. Part of my exercise regime now.

Jim

fabricemalzieu

Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post
    Fabrice,
    Do not know if you have already solved your problem. Just noticed your post and, since I saw no answer from others, wanted to provide some information which might help if you have not.

I have a ProLab II which is based on the D5500 and which developed the same problem. Doing some research, I found that KHB Photografix (in Canada) has found a fix for this problem. See:
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/...00advisory.htm

Their contact information is on their home page:
    www.khbphotografix.com/

I don't know if it would be economically feasible for you to use this, but those folks are very helpful and might be able to assist you even if you don't buy from them. Have found this out from firsthand experience.

Regards & Best of Luck, Jim
    Thanks. I've gone through the repair. I'm all set now and mostly thanks to ICRACER set of photos. I've actually found the spare chip at khb... It is great of you to have sent your informations: I could have been stuck after several weeks! as a matter of act I had got answers: I do not understand why they do not figure on the wall. Anyway thanks again!!!

fabricemalzieu

Thanks everybody! I've sorted out my " elevation system " problem! The Omega D5500 has actually taken off a couple of weeks ago thanks to your help, folks! All best, Fabrice