Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is about the right size for a dark cloth for a 4x5" camera?

What is about the right size for a dark cloth for a 4x5" camera?

Over the past 100+ years of photographers using ground glass cameras, surely the "right size" for a dark cloth has been determined.

It should not be too small, otherwise too much light will creep in making it difficult to see the ground glass.
    And it should not be too large otherwise you are carrying around excess weight in the form of fabric.

Yesterday at Home Depot, I bought an 84 x 42 inch microfiber blackout curtain. One side is white and the other Navy blue. I put the store sample over my head and could not see the store lighting. The package says it blocks 100% of the light.

So, my good friends, what do YOU think is an ideal size for a dark cloth that will be used with a 4x5" camera?

My 4x5" cameras:
    Chamonix F1
    Cambo Legend
    Graflex Crown Graphic

Once I get some feedback as to a decent size, I will have the lady at my dry cleaners cut and hem it for me.

Thank you.
    Terry

A crappy Android cell phone photo of the curtain at Home Depot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160525_162203.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	151220
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 26-May-2016 at 02:16. Reason: editing what I wrote

Re: What is about the right size for a dark cloth for a 4x5" camera?

You will get dozens of answers. The dark cloth I most often use for 4x5 is 4'x5'. I also use this for 5x7. The one for 8x10 and 7x17 is 5'x8'.

I'm not sure the dimensions of mine. My mother made mine for me, so it's ideal.

I just use my jacket or shirt. It is convenient. Too much area and the wind could knock down the camera. Needs will vary.

I spend far too much time under the darkcloth to go with the t-shirt/jacket idea. It is just not ideal for me. A lot of my photography is in the winter, too -- my shirt and jacket have other duties!

I have a Calumet white/black darkcloth that is 3'x4'. Perfect for up to 8x10...only marginally useful (if that) on the 11x14. I carry a couple of plastic Aussie clothes pegs (finest kind!) to attach to cloth to the camera if it gets windy. But I try not to attach the cloth to the camera if not needed. I am more likely to accidentally pull the camera over rather than the wind!

I was photographing Bridal Vail Falls from near its base one February (not much water) when the wind shifted and the Falls disappeared from my GG. I pulled my head from under the darkcloth to look for the waterfall, only to look straight up to see it coming straight down at me. I had time to close my pack flap and cover the camera well with the darkcloth as the water drenched me. I had a rain jacket on (cold mid-morning and I was in the shade), but I spent my lunch in the sun drying equipment out.

So a water-proof cloth is nice for unexpected downpours.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have a Calumet black cotton both sides, 32 X 48". I think 36 X 48" would be better.

It's thin, light. single piece hemmed. Also old and came with a camera.

I think we had this discussion before and I would 'make' it waterproof, per Vaughn, silver one side, black the other and add some velcro to help close it up if wanted.

I just described a Harrison Darkcloth. I bought their largest and have no regret. It could double as a shelter in pinch.

1 XXL black cotton t-shirt inside 1 XXL white cotton t-shirt. Necks and sleeve edges glued together with fabric adhesive. Light, cheap, breathes, and works great.

Mine in 42x48 inches. Works great for 4x5. A little small for 8x10.

I don't know. How big is yo head?

I don't like traditional dark cloths. They are open at the bottom so they let in lots of light. I prefer a BTZS or Blackjacket where you look through a dark tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I don't know. How big is yo head?

I don't like traditional dark cloths. They are open at the bottom so they let in lots of light. I prefer a BTZS or Blackjacket where you look through a dark tunnel.
    I bought two BTZS units. One for my Cambo kit and one for my Crown Graphic kit. (The whole Crown kit was stolen.)

The concept of the BTZS focusing hood is good. But the only thing I did not like about it was that I had to disturb the camera to open the BTZS in order to insert or remove my sheet film holders. That's why I'm going to have the seamstress at my dry cleaners sew up a more "classic" design for me.

Yesterday, I bought four rare earth magnets to sew into the corners when she makes my dark cloth. I will experiment to see if I like them sticking to my Gitzo or Manfrotto tripods. Being that I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, I might also have her sew in some Velcro pads, too.

UPDATE 19 October 2021: this posting was first made 29 My 2016 and I just re-read it. The Crown kit was NOT stolen! Stupid me, I moved across town and put the Crown kit on a shelf in the storage room and promptly forgot about it. Somehow my 71 year old brain convinced itself that it had been lost or stolen by a vengeful landlord. (He DID steal the KitchenAid mixer that my late parents gave me but that is a different story.) Anyhow, one day I was looking for something else and noticed the Crown kit. I said to myself, "Wait... what? I thought that was long lost!" So I opened it and sure enough it was my lovely old Crown Graphic looking up and me so very sad and said to me, "I missed you. Where have you been? Let's go play." So we did go play. The end.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 19-Oct-2021 at 00:40. Reason: a Joyful announcement