Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Resurgence of Film!!!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: The Resurgence of Film!!!

The idea that Kodak talked the directors of 100 motion pictures to shoot on film rather than digital last year as a publicity stunt is ludicrous in the extreme.

I hope that with the world wide turn around in film sales, Kodak and other manufacturers will restart film R&D which has stagnated for well over a decade now. Film can only get better.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The idea that Kodak talked the directors of 100 motion pictures to shoot on film rather than digital last year as a publicity stunt is ludicrous in the extreme.

I hope that with the world wide turn around in film sales, Kodak and other manufacturers will restart film R&D which has stagnated for well over a decade now. Film can only get better.

Thomas
    It is more likely that the directors used film as a PR stunt then that Kodak arranged it.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thst' even more silly! Did you see film being mentioned in the trailers? Film was only alluded to in the credits with the Kodak or fuji logo and the camera credits.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Thst' even more silly! Did you see film being mentioned in the trailers? Film was only alluded to in the credits with the Kodak or fuji logo and the camera credits.

Thomas
    Doesn't have to be in the credits. It is passed around the industry itself. The picture going public really doesn't care if it was shot on film stock or digital medium. It is a non starter for them. But it does make a statement to movie producers and creative types.

Just a question these days. Even though a movie is shot on film are we watching it directly from a film print or is it digitized?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Just a question these days. Even though a movie is shot on film are we watching it directly from a film print or is it digitized?
    It's projected digitally. There is no real "film" involved in film anymore - even when its shot on film stock, it is edited, mixed, cgi'd, and delivered to the theater in digital format.

Drew Wiley

And that's the real problem with film volume. The initial shoot is just so much; the significantly greater "afterwards" need for film for theater distribution is nearly extinct.

"Watching a movie shot on 35mm and projected on 35mm is certainly a different experience, and for a lot of older films that have (ironically) been restored digitally and then printed back out to 35, they look amazing. I've seen lots of these restored films, which probably look better than they ever did due to improvements in technology. While there are plenty of movies still shooting on film, pretty much none are finished on film -- they've got some sort of digital intermediate going on in-between."

Excerpt from Tarantino rant, http://nofilmschool.com/2014/05/quen...n-death-cinema

Drew Wiley

I just don't go to theaters anyway. For one thing, I don't care for the look of movies shot video or digital to begin with. Second, most of these simply come with the territory of less than inspired cameramen, since so much can be post-altered digitally rather than shot smart to begin with. Third, I can't stand loud venues where
    you sit around for an hour watching subliminal content inspiring you to buy more overpriced popcorn and soda, while waiting for some stupid teenage action flick
    to begin, catching their flu germs in the meantime. Fourth, I have way better things to do in my spare time. Fifth, I can always watch something at home on a disc at my leisure. All this means the people like me have essentially zero influence of what the industry does, because we contribute almost no money to it.