Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Resurgence of Film!!!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The Resurgence of Film!!!

The great yellow father says: "REAL FILM IS BACK!" http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/corp/P...lm/default.htm

Thomas

Re: The Resurgence of Film!!!

That is outstanding news. Thanks for sharing!

Kodak movie film, does this have any direct effect on still film?

Second question. Does this mean I should not recycle the two 16mm upright Movieola's rotting in our shop? The owner has decided to strip them for sculpture bits, but they take up space...

If he had plans to use them for movies they would stay.

Well, well, well. If Kodak says it, it surely must be true! What I read is: after having failed in the digital, we try to bang our former glory in the analogue. The "new" progress of film is in fact just the old rest of it, still hanging around. Happy dreaming, Kodak!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Kodak movie film, does this have any direct effect on still film?
    Without the production of cine film in quantity, it is unlikely that Kodak could run their enormous coating and finishing lines economically just for the production of consumer still films.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Well, well, well. If Kodak says it, it surely must be true! What I read is: after having failed in the digital, we try to bang our former glory in the analogue. The "new" progress of film is in fact just the old rest of it, still hanging around. Happy dreaming, Kodak!
    Are you sure that you are on the right forum?

I happen to own a gallery in a tiny tourist town in the middle of a large rural area, selling film based photos, and had a very good last year for only being open four months.

The two comments I hear the most are "I would have never expected a gallery like this in this town" and "WOW, this isn't digital is it?"

I hear from students that they are glad their college went back to teaching film, some are only shooting film for a year! Even had high school students, from Santa Barbara, say that they are taking darkroom classes.

Call it retro or whatever, but there is a different look to film and a renewed interest in film.

We should be cheering "GO KODAK!"
    Thad Gerheim

Dream on....
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Kodak has been mismanaged for so long I have a hard time taking anything they say or do seriously, but.......there is always hope. I hope this dance with film directors is more than a desperate PR effort.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

+1.

Drew Wiley

Anything "alternative" in cinema, which apparently now includes "retro" interest in real film, has quite a bit of interest around here. There are not only mildewed old private theaters dedicated to it (big deal), but the huge brand new Pacific Film Archive complex (actually big deal, financially, with some very influential sponsors). All it takes are a few very well heeled Hollywood types. And now it appears that there is going to be a massive pipeline of joint venture projects with big Chinese studios. Of course, this will go all kinds of directions, animation, black and white real film, hybrid, alternative digital. I won't spend a minute of my time involved with this. And other than keeping certain coating lines potentially alive, it hardly solves our issues with color sheet film. I suspect that's a battle we'll have to fight ourselves, or die in the trenches. I'll die anyway from old age, but in the meantime can prolong my own sheet film use for the duration with a simple freezer. I anticipate that black and white sheet film is in far less danger. Just glad that I've already had decades to enjoy it. There is nothing permanent
    but change. The only other universal constant it that publicly traded corporations, given a choice, will always do something stupid.