Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: B&W 4x5 film for indoor sports?

Cogito, ergo sum

Re: B&W 4x5 film for indoor sports?

You can rate tmax400 at 3200 and develop accordingly. I do it quite a few times and always got printable negatives.
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Post Re: B&W 4x5 film for indoor sports?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Good luck OP, don't listen to some of the nay sayers, use your two frames wisely. Enjoy yourself.
    Ha ha ha, I took it to the gym yesterday and chickened out. I'll work up the courage eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I don't think this was mentioned but I just thought about it, looking at some old photos I shot while planning a trip...

My best low-light photos using (almost) LF have definitely been taken with Fuji 3000B instant film, and then scanning either the print or the negative directly after cleaning up the residue.

Real ~3200 speed and instant feedback. The only problem is it's discontinued but stocks are still available. I still have quite a bit myself; no it's not for sale!
    Nice examples! That's the first thing I googled - 3200 ISO 4x5, only to find it just isn't out there. I remember reading about the 3000B being discontinued. Maybe New55 will take up the gauntlet, but I think ISO 50 is what they can muster to date.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre506 View Post
    dear stone, how long about the developing time using DD-X + HP5 on ISO 3200?
    DD-X 1+4, or 1+9?

通过我的 SCH-I959 上的 Tapatalk发言
    Pierre, as I respect your work I'll share my "secrets"

DD-X requires 200ml/8x10 sheet/120 roll at 1+4 for HP5+

So always 1+4 or you risk exhaustion.

18 minutes in the JOBO rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagger View Post
    Ha ha ha, I took it to the gym yesterday and chickened out. I'll work up the courage eventually
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Pierre, as I respect your work I'll share my "secrets"

DD-X requires 200ml/8x10 sheet/120 roll at 1+4 for HP5+

So always 1+4 or you risk exhaustion.

18 minutes in the JOBO rotary.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again
    thank you, Stone, I use CPA 2.

通过我的 SCH-I959 上的 Tapatalk发言
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

A couple years ago a photo studio hired to create high school student portraits for their yearbook didn't want to shoot the sport photos that he was required to provide as part of his contract. So he hired me to photograph events such as football, basketball, lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, fencing, water polo, wrestling, track and field, etc. For one basketball game, I lit the gymnasium with four White Lightning 1600 strobes controlled with a Pocket Wizard transmitter attached to the hot shoe of my Nikon D3s. Two strobes were on each side of the venue, each was aimed at one of the baskets. That way I had fairly even coverage of the whole floor. After about five minutes of my shooting the game, an assistant coach came over to me to ask me to stop. He informed me that indoor high school sports in Georgia do not allow strobes. BTW the rule does not apply to outdoor sports. Colleges here do allow strobes for all events.

I did not want to upset him by asking about parents in the stands using strobes. I removed the Pocket Wizard and shot the rest of that game with available light.

BTW, if you ask an athlete if flash distracts them, most will tell you they never see it because they are concentrating on the game. But trying to convince a coach of angry parent of that is a whole 'nother thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    After about five minutes of my shooting the game, an assistant coach came over to me to ask me to stop. He informed me that indoor high school sports in Georgia do not allow strobes.

I did not want to upset him by asking about parents in the stands using strobes. I removed the Pocket Wizard and shot the rest of that game with available light.
    This is my experience with the sanctioned gymnastics meets we go to...no strobes/flash allowed. Heck, I even got in trouble because of my auto focus assist light!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Didn't pros once put their own wireless strobes in the rafters and lower for sporting events.

Before DSLR high ISO became the obvious choice for any sports event.

As I found out, athletes want very high IQ, they are all about their body and their physical skill, not art. Sorry couldn't resist.
    - They still do...
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    If you've got a good rapport with the building manager and have some studio strobes and wireless triggers you could light the place to any brightness you want for stopping action or for a given aperture.
    Strobes are a big no-no in gymnastics competition if I recall from my days as a Sports Photographer... at least at the elite level.
    Robert Oliver

It's been at least 30 years since I've done it... but we used push tri-x in diafine or microfine. (something with fine in it) Shadows were extremely quick to block up.

We switched to Tmax 3200 and Tmax developer when it came out. If I recall we shot it at 1600 when we could, and would only push above 3200 when absolutely necessary. I was using a 135mm f2.0 and a 50mm f1.4 for high school night sports.

Not sure what I would use now...

If it's a low level gymnastics meet, perhaps a pair of LED photo or shop lights aimed from above/side?
    Robert Oliver